The Abbey of Aves

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

I may have mentioned in the past, but of the Aves, the Super White has an extremely fine grain and bright white ( go figure ) color. It beats all the others hands down.

Cheers,
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've found the Aves is generally finer grained than Miliput, mixes more easily and cures more consistently. That said, it's been years since I used Milliput.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Milliput Superfine White is every bit as fine as AVES, but it is a lotmore difficult to mix properly and it has a much, much shorter shelf life unmixed.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
omega leader

A Convert

Post by omega leader »

A few weeks back my wife and I drove about an hour to get Aves from a sculpting supply house in Toronto (though we were going elsewhere too).

I finally got a chance to use it yesterday and I'm stunned, it is truly a bizzar substance, soft yet hard, holds a shape and yet is easily pushed into bubbles. I don't understand it, but my other putty's are going out. And I feel like I want to try and finish my horribly miscast model that has been haunting me for 5 years.
Underlord

dittoes Omega

Post by Underlord »

I too tried the blessed Aves last night for the first time. Ohh My GOODNESS!! Seriously folks, you're on page 10 of people raving about this product... do yourself a favor and go get some!!

I bought the 1lb pack about a month ago. I still had some (what I then thought) pretty good putty that I had been using for seams etc., but my Reliant original mold had some fit issues that required a bit more filling. I re-read some of the sage advice here, grabbed three plastic knifes (marked A, B, and MIX), a couple of zip-lock bags and whipped up a double pea sized batch to test with. It was rather stiff to mix, but once it was well mixed I let it sit for 15 min while I put away my A knife and A tub in my A zip-lock bag, and did likewise with my B parts. Out came the metal spatulas and this stuff spread like butter!!! A little IPA on a q-tip to smooth it out and today I ran a light 700 grit over it quickly... no more filling, no more sanding and re-filling... it's done and ready for primer! Tomorrow I'm gonna try my Mr Surfacer 1200... now if I could just get a little better with my airbrush!

Thanks to this thread, the devout, and now we return you to your benches!
Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

Insane Aves paste question: Can it be thinned enough to be extruded through a syringe? I can see that would have some useful applications. Using the actual paste straight from the container is a pain.
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Not as insane as you might think. It can and I have. Works at treat.
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

Sorry if this has been asked earlier in the thread, but I just don't have the time to go through ten pages. :oops:

I have heard others say that they have had a problem with the Aves ghosting under primer and paint. Has anyone else had this problem? Or are they doing something wrong?
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

I'm getting something you might call ghosting on my Apollo 27, that I appear dead set against finishing. In my case I think I'm just looking at the difference in textures, between styrene and the semi-porous Aves. I haven't yet gone back and sanded with successively finer grits, but I anticipate that solving it. I'll report back with my findings.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

What is "ghosting"?
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

southwestforests wrote:What is "ghosting"?
Kinda like when you try to paint with Latex House Paint over where your kid used Magic Markers on the wall

Unless you seal it, some of the color will bleed through

-------------------------------------------

I've never had this problem with properly measured/mixed Aves - sculpt or paste

Could be different proportions, incomplete mixing or both

Scrape off and try again would be my suggestion
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Never had that issue... as long as I primed first.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

starmanmm wrote:Never had that issue... as long as I primed first.
I didn't think about that - priming is second nature, I rarely even think about it

Ya, always use a good primer - I use Tamiya grey or white myself
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

southwestforests wrote:What is "ghosting"?
They say they can see the difference in color of the aves and the plastic showing through.
starmanmm wrote:Never had that issue... as long as I primed first.
See, that's what I said. Makes me wonder what kind of primer they are using.... so I never try to use it :P
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
ProfKSergeev

Post by ProfKSergeev »

Anyone ever had any trouble with Aves' never drying? I mixed up a batch over two days ago and used it on a couple of scratchbuilds, but even now it's just as malleable as when I combined and kneaded equal parts A & B. I know the stuff is good, because I'd used more from the same tubs before with no problems.

Help me, Obi-Wan; you're my only hope!
Poyekhali!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've seen Aves not cure when it hasn't been mixed thoroughly. The black seems to be notorious for failing to mix. Just becoming a uniform color doesn't mean it was necessarily fully mixed. My rule of thumb is @ least 2 minutes of mashing & kneading.
Abolish Alliteration
ProfKSergeev

Post by ProfKSergeev »

I routinely mix for 2-3 minutes, which is what has me really perplexed; I did nothing different this time from the dozens of other times I've successfully used Aves. Does it ever go off? I'm near the bottom of these two tubs, and perhaps I just passed their shelf life.

The Aves website suggests sticking any uncured material under a heat lamp, so I'm going to give that a shot.
Poyekhali!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That'll help accelerate the curing process.

huh, I've had 3 y/o Aves with/o an issue.

Anybody else run across something similar?
Abolish Alliteration
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I have the tub size and they are over 4/5+ years and never had an issue of it not mixing or drying.

I have come across some crusty parts in the tub... which I throw out... but never had any issues.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Generally have no problems mixing Aves though the last time I opened it part 2 seemed to be drying out far faster then part 1. I can screw a top on but feel there's something up with my part 2.
On the subject of Aves I know somewhere on this thread there's mention of thinning Aves with a solvent of some type. Anyone know what works best?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
USS Atlantis

Post by USS Atlantis »

If this is the Paste that seems to be drying

Toss it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds - that's how I "revived" my paste a couple years ago

Watch out it doesn't boil over - and make sure the top is un-screwed
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

It's not the pasts, it's Epoxy Sculpt. I do love this stuff. It's help correct many a thing.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

JadedMonk wrote:Not as insane as you might think. It can and I have. Works at treat.
I think I tossed my paste out, due to frustration, but I may have to buy another sampler's worth, just to try it out. I have the "syringe" from a toner-refilling kit. Blunt-tipped, large-bore needle might just be the thing.

One question: was your syringe glass or plastic?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Woe, oh woe!!

And it came to pass that the only purveyor in the UK of the blessed AVES has ceased to sell it. And lo! The angels and modellers wept! The bay of evil did offer unto us a glimmer of hope, but verily were the prices loathsome.

“Import it thyself!”, sayeth the American brethren, but alas, Her Majesty’s Customs do stop it, take it, and destroy it, being unbelievers and low of wit. (It’s not banned for import to the UK, but that doesn’t worry customs).

And so the faithful did ask, “Where the *&@% can I get AVES in the UK?
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Contact Aves and ask for a European distributer since yours has ceased carrying their products
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
G-man

Post by G-man »

... forgive me for not taking the pilgrimage to the Abby of Aves like a man, on my own. But i fear i am weak of spirit and need guidance in these poor times we find ourselves trodding upon.

Where good friends, might i find a good sampling of this.. Aves, for a good price, for a novice at using the amazing scuplty substance?

G-man
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
G-man

Post by G-man »

thank you kindly good sir :)
G-man
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Shinnentai wrote:
For lubrication, water is best, hands down, and by a long measure.

For blending and thinning, Safety Solvent beats out alcohol by virtue of both performance, and alcohol's negative side effects. For anything involving sculpting the difference is significant, and IMO more than enough to justify the extra cost. For straight no-frills gap filling though, alcohol will get the job done.

What alcohol really kicks arse at is tool cleaning. Its aggressiveness makes it much, much better at this than water or Safety Solvent. Believe it or not, alcohol even outperforms acetone in this department!

Hope this helps other Avis noobs out there. Cheers!
From what I am reading the water coupled with alcohol equals Safety Solvent... so... mix water and alcohol?

Alcohol is prime to Aves, acetone is the beast of different Church, the church of acrylics, enamels, and some plastics. Do not mistake the wolf in sheep's clothing, save your brain cells for planning your next Aves project, you will be rewarded tenfold!

Instructions 12:23
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
Butters

Post by Butters »

Can Aves be stained with a wood stain?
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?