Is that a spray booth?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hiryu02

Is that a spray booth?

Post by Hiryu02 »

At the 5:34 mark of this video, it shows what looks like a weird honeycomb wall, that she sprays into a bit later, the video doesnt show the whole thing.
Could it be a spraybooth? An interesting design if so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuF81rGzFgw

anyone familiar with it?
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

"If people make you sick, maybe you should cook them longer."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There can be only one.

For a bit more you can get a metal booth with a 350cfm fan. With another $15 you can build a bucket filter that'll let you spray indoors.
Abolish Alliteration
Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 »

Man, I had no idea hlj even carried that thing. Very interesting. I'm actually thinking of making a box outta some plastic bins and sundry parts like a few I've seen on this board. I'm kinda on a budget, so a cheap DIY deal seems ideal at the moment.
Morty Seinfeld

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

Hiryu02 wrote:Man, I had no idea hlj even carried that thing. Very interesting. I'm actually thinking of making a box outta some plastic bins and sundry parts like a few I've seen on this board. I'm kinda on a budget, so a cheap DIY deal seems ideal at the moment.
I did that. I used a big plastic bin, cut a square hole out of it, and then put one of those bathroom fans in it. Seemed to work fine, but a stronger fan would have worked better.
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
mwf4nut

Post by mwf4nut »

Kylwell wrote: With another $15 you can build a bucket filter that'll let you spray indoors.
I've never heard of a bucket filter before. I would really like to get away from venting outside. What does a bucket filter consist of?

Mark
Not into perfection, just a hobby.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

mwf4nut wrote:
Kylwell wrote: With another $15 you can build a bucket filter that'll let you spray indoors.
I've never heard of a bucket filter before. I would really like to get away from venting outside. What does a bucket filter consist of?

Mark
1 5 gal bucket, some 4" straight duct pipe, 2 furnace filters, 1 A/C charcoal filter pad.
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Cut a bunch of holes around the top of the bucket, line those holes with the charcoal filter. Cut 4" hole in the lid.

Take the furnace filters apart, stuff all the fiberglass bits in the bottom (wear respirator, long sleeves, bunny suit, etc).

Stick the 4" duct in the bucket so it's just a few inches from the bottom. Make sure the furnace filters are around the duct, but not so much it'll clog the airway.

Put the lid on, seal everything with tape/caulk/Aves, and connect to spraybooth.

Enjoy!

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
mwf4nut

Post by mwf4nut »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:Cut a bunch of holes around the top of the bucket, line those holes with the charcoal filter. Cut 4" hole in the lid.

Take the furnace filters apart, stuff all the fiberglass bits in the bottom (wear respirator, long sleeves, bunny suit, etc).

Stick the 4" duct in the bucket so it's just a few inches from the bottom. Make sure the furnace filters are around the duct, but not so much it'll clog the airway.

Put the lid on, seal everything with tape/caulk/Aves, and connect to spraybooth.

Enjoy!
Dan
That makes sense! I'll have to see where I can get the charcoal filter and give this a try. Thanks guys!

Mark
Not into perfection, just a hobby.
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Kylwell wrote:There can be only one.
Any word on price??
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
Orion

Post by Orion »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:

Enjoy!

Dan
So is there not a need to replace the filter media once in a while? I would think that the furnace filters would last a really long time, but the charcoal would be absorbing things from the air even when the filter wasn't actively being used. Maybe I'm reading to much into this part, and the seal is just to make darn sure that all the exhaust air is forced though the media.

For that matter, would having some water in the bottom of the bucket help the furnace filters last longer? I know in an apartment we used to live in, we didn't have an outdoor exhaust for the clothes dryer, and the inside lint trap had to have water in it to work. I don't know if the mist from the spray would even stick to the water.

One last question if you please: Would there be a need for the charcoal filter if I'm just spraying acrylic paint? I can no doubt see the need for spraying enamels and lacquers, just not sure about acrylics.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I sealed mine with tape, with the assumption that eventually I'd need to replace any of the filters. Not too hard to take off.

Don't know about the water. I guess I could make a spray booth bong.

The thinners I use with acrylics are alcohol based, so I wanted to make sure I made something that would trap most of it.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Jades Dark Heart

Post by Jades Dark Heart »

Anyone have any pictures of thier bucket filter?

G
The Captain Cardboard X-Wing Project! See it at http://www.blockheadpictures.com

Anything Worth Doing, is Worth OVER Doing!!! JDH2008
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:I sealed mine with tape, with the assumption that eventually I'd need to replace any of the filters. Not too hard to take off.

Don't know about the water. I guess I could make a spray booth bong.

The thinners I use with acrylics are alcohol based, so I wanted to make sure I made something that would trap most of it.

Dan
One of the problem with a bong is it's easier to draw air through the water than push it, hence the need for an upline fan.
Abolish Alliteration