Help scribing before I ruin master

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kenny

Help scribing before I ruin master

Post by Kenny »

Done the search and no results, I am about to venture into some very fine scribing on a master made of epoxy, styrene and thin layers of tamyia basic putty. I was planning to use the dymo tape like swannies but fear the dymo tape will lift the basic putty. My rulers all seam too chunky too, so rather than the Lt's ruler i wanted to try tape.

I would prefer not to make a resin blank and then scribe that as silicone is not cheap over here.
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

You might try pressing your fingers all over the glue side of the Dymo tape before you stck it down.
The oil in your fingertips will gradually reduce the "tack" of the adhesive.

Trial and error here as to how much is enough.
You want the take to stick a bit..right ?..got a similar surface to test it out ???

The best of luck you fellow scratcher :)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Also let the scriber do the cutting, low pressure. It should take several passes to get a strong line, just remember how many passes to ensure equal depth.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Help scribing before I ruin master

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kenny wrote:Done the search and no results, I am about to venture into some very fine scribing on a master made of epoxy, styrene and thin layers of tamyia basic putty. I was planning to use the dymo tape like swannies but fear the dymo tape will lift the basic putty. My rulers all seam too chunky too, so rather than the Lt's ruler i wanted to try tape.

I would prefer not to make a resin blank and then scribe that as silicone is not cheap over here.
I see what you mean, brother. Use two layers of masking tape. Bottom layer, press onto your pants leg and lift off just once to kill some of its tack. Top layer just press onto the bottom layer. It's the sae principle as the Dymo, but less sticky.

Also, I use a plastic seamstress' ruler. It's hard to make out in one of the pictures as well as the HAsegawa scribing guide. Both are pretty doggone flexible. One thing I have learned to do, since reading an article in Finescale Modeler, is to roll a thin piece of tape, sticky side out, and place it on the back of the scribing guide. The goal is NOT to be sticky (it won't be for long), but rather to add friction to the guide such that it has a difficult time sliding as you hold it in place. This may be better for you than using a tape straitedge.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Kylwell wrote:Also let the scriber do the cutting, low pressure. It should take several passes to get a strong line, just remember how many passes to ensure equal depth.
Sounds like you're suggesting patience???

Kenton
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

modelnutz wrote:You might try pressing your fingers all over the glue side of the Dymo tape before you stck it down.
The oil in your fingertips will gradually reduce the "tack" of the adhesive.
I will try that, as well as the pant fuzz and making layers like the Lt. suggests, maybe a layer of tamyia masking tape, layer of dymo.

Guess I should do some pics soon. Ps it's a 1/100 fighter so quite small

Kenton
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Kenny wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Also let the scriber do the cutting, low pressure. It should take several passes to get a strong line, just remember how many passes to ensure equal depth.
Sounds like you're suggesting patience???
:D yes that too.
Abolish Alliteration