Alclad Black Primer Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Alclad Black Primer Question

Post by starmanmm »

When you spray this on... does it remain tacky the next day? I had shot some and for two days it stayed tacky and wondered if this is normal?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It shouldn't. Usually drys hard in a hour or so.
Abolish Alliteration
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Ok... this is what I needed to know. For some reason the black stayed tacky for over two days and when I sprayed the alclad over it it cracked and rubbed off.

So either the black is no good or because of the fact that I sprayed it on a rainny day... the humidity may have had a hand in it not drying properly? :-k
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

starmanmm wrote:...because of the fact that I sprayed it on a rainny day... the humidity may have had a hand in it not drying properly? :-k
That would be my guess. :?
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Right now, that is the only working theory I have. #-o
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Does everybody still prime their kit and then spray it with the alclad base black or do you just go for the base black coat?
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

I prime first - but then, my main reason for priming is to find flaws, not necessarily as a base coat for more paint.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Hummm, clear night, in the mid 60s and it's three hours since I had sprayed the alclad black and it is still tacky!

Thanks for the info!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

starmanmm wrote:Hummm, clear night, in the mid 60s and it's three hours since I had sprayed the alclad black and it is still tacky!

Thanks for the info!
Ummm, you aren't thinning the Alclad black base are you? It requires no thinning. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly and make sure your airbrush is completely bone dry inside before shooting the Alclad through it. It sounds like you are having a paint contamination problem or maybe have a batch of bad paint. Make sure you are not melting your primer with the Alclad. I think the Alclad instructions gives specific basecoats that it can be painted over. Good luck!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I just looked at the your photos from the earlier thread and see the cracks you were talking about. They look exactly like the cracks I got once when I sprayed a lacquer silver over an enamel primer coat. It is a textbook case of the topcoat drying before the base coat, but then I guess you already knew that. I hope you get your black base problem sorted out because that kit looks great and will really look great finished in the shiny Alclad!
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

I have had really good results w/ alclad just using rustoleum gloss black...seems to work real well.

Ashton
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Joseph Osborn, No I didn't thin the alclad black base coat. As far as I have know... you don't thin anything of alclad.

I was spraying the alclad over dupli-color filler primer autobody primer. Like I said, two days passed and the black was still tacky and I read on a thread somewhere that it was suppose to be tacky (yeah, thanks for that advice einstine) and just sprayed the alclad over it and you saw what I got. :cry:

Never had the problem before when I used alclad in the past; but like redfinger, that time I had used krylon gloss black and things were fine.

I then tried it again (after shaking the bottle and stirring it for close to 10 minutes) and got the same results. The next day it was still a bit tacky. I think that the bottle is old ( I've had it for close to two + years now) and that is what I believe is the issue. :-k

So, it has been raining here for two days now but once it stops, I'm going to prime it again, let it dry and give it a shot of krylon gloss black and hope that things will be back to normal! [-o<