alcohol to clean airbrush?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

alcohol to clean airbrush?

Post by Digger1 »

Is it okay to clean and scrub down the innards of an airbrush with rubber o-rings with alcohol?
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

If you run acrylic paint through it then yes.
Normal?? What is normal??
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Alcohol should be fine. Lacquer thinner will attack the Badger's teflon O-rings.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

indeed.

respectfully,
me
redfinger

Re: alcohol to clean airbrush?

Post by redfinger »

Digger1 wrote:Is it okay to clean and scrub down the innards of an airbrush with rubber o-rings with alcohol?
I use denatured acohol from Home Depot, blue nad orange tin.....seems to work real well....I usally add just a littel water to it as well....

On a side note, I have had good results w/ denatured alcohol and future mixed w/ my Timiya color of choice in my airbrush as well.....

Ashton
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:Alcohol should be fine. Lacquer thinner will attack the Badger's teflon O-rings.

I hope this helps.

Kenny
Apologies for the contradiction but I don't think so. I use acetone based paints almost exclusively and I've only ever changed the teflon ring once in fifteen years. The full size custom car boys would be pretty miffed if it destroyed the seal each time they airbrushed artwork on their cars. The pick up tube in some air brush glass jars used to be teflon and this regularly got washed out in cellulose thinners without damage. It will cause black rubber "O" rings to swell and eventually break down like the ones in the Badger 350. For the same reason, you should avoid immersing the air release valve part of the airbrush (the bit the airline screws on to) as this has rubber "O" ring seals. If the rubber rings get cellulose thinners/acetone on them, they will initially absorb the thinner and swell but should return to the right size as the thinners evaporates out. Doing it repeatedly will break them down though. I'm not sure if alcohol will effect black rubber anywhere near as much but I wouldn't think so.
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

Not sure where the idea that laquer thinner is bad came from. I've been cleaning my 360 with laquer thinner for years. When it gets really dirty, or when I have to shoot a bunch of different colors through it in rapid sucession, I tear it down and let it soak in a jar overnight. It cleans out everything really well and the brush shoots like new.

P@T
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I don't think natural rubber is used in these brushes - most should be fine with lacquer thinner. I will soak bits in alcohol to clean, but I typically use acrylic.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The reason I say lacquer thinner is bad to use must be qualified. I use it to clean my brush, but I flush the brush afterwards with a bit of mineral spirits or Windex, depending upon what I am shooting next.

As for why I say it is bad for teflon, that's another story. At a job I used to have, there were teflon spot applicators we used to have. At the end of each day, their tips were locked in a lacquer thinner bath. Next day, the teflon clumped out like ricotta cheese.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

When I am brushing with Acrylic in any of my Paasches I typically I clean with Windex. I also keep an airbrush bottle full of Windex to run through the brush from time to time. It helps to keep it cleaner and makes for less final clean up..

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Lacquer thinner works well, but is a bit overkill if you're spraying acrylics. I use acetone and it works exceptionally well for thinning and cleaning. Don't use the fake stuff they sell as nail polish remover it reacts differently with various brands of paint.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.