Need a new Solder Gun

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

joey_d1119

Need a new Solder Gun

Post by joey_d1119 »

Hey All,
I have a solder gun that I just can't use anymore. It's way too old and they don't make replacement tips for it anymore. I need something the is affordable and something that is good to use with circuit boards and LED's.
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I use a basic butane powered soldering iron for most work. It's about the size of a fat marker. I find it heats up faster than a plug in pencil type and definately gets hot enough for my soldering needs. The downside is you have to fill it with butane for lighters. The other upside is it's cordless so I don't have to worry about manuevering the iron around. I also have a 40w pencil type for longer soldering sessions. Of course you can always go for a fully adjustable soldering station. They run around $135.00.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Define "affordable".

I've got a Weller EC1002 model. Still make parts for it, sturdy, very nice.
Abolish Alliteration
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Yeah, define affordable. If you don't mind buying products made by slave labor, you can get this ESD (electrostatic discharge) safe soldering iron with a temp display and temperature dial for $50. I have it, it works well. It's equivalent to the Weller (probably also made by slaves).

This one's cheaper.

and this one is $10.

Their tips are cheap as well, and IIRC, compatible with Weller or similar soldering station tips.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Wage slaves maybe, my Weller says 'Made in America'.
Abolish Alliteration
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Kylwell wrote:Wage slaves maybe, my Weller says 'Made in America'.
Must be an old Weller!