7400 Series Integrated Circuits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Quintillus

7400 Series Integrated Circuits

Post by Quintillus »

Does anyone have a use for these? I bought a tackle box full of electronic parts for $10 at a garage sale, and included were several nicely stored IC chips of the 7400 series. I have a list, but they are not in order, several duplicates, and nearly 50 of them. Several 7408, 7404, etc., etc.

Reply here if interested.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Quintillus!

As I recall, the 74XX series of IC's are TTL chips - Transistor/Transistor Logic - which run at a pretty limited voltage (I believe 5 volts ) and are quite reliable if run within their specifications. Their only 'problem' is that they take up a LOT of milliAmperage just to run themsleves: something like 20 mA or so. Some take a lot more mA just for themselves. CMOS chips are better for battery powered gadgets: they only use microAmps internally.

The GOOD news is that TTL's are relatively immune to static sparks and similar 'high voltage'.

I've had a couple of LED displays running constantly for over 30 years each, powered by 'wall warts'. That's pretty reliable.

For a good "How To" for TTL chips, try the "TTL COOKBOOK" by Don Lancaster.
Slide

Post by Slide »

cool. i'm quite familiar with the 7400 series thanks to the program i was in at school [they tought us how to program these exclusively because that's becoming an "industry standard IC" apparently]. they're very reliable, and if you have the correct program and a basic knowledge of C++ you can make them do almost anything...withing the realm of an IC anyway...

i think i'm quitting the program, but i'll see if some of my mates are interested and i'll get back to you.
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Balok

Post by Balok »

Sure we're all aware of the many achievments of the 7400 series, but are you sure there has never been even the most insignificant computer error? :wink:
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

I'm afraid that 7400-series chips are not programmable ... at all. They can still be very useful, though.