Flashing LED

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Darkov

Flashing LED

Post by Darkov »

Isn't there a way to make an LED flash with just a capacitor? I'm only interested in 1 led flashing. I'm using 5mm blue leds and a 9volt power supply.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I have seen single LEDs that blink without an external circuit. However, not sure how they will work with others nor how to control blink rate. Most of my applications I need the blinking rate to be the same for several LEDs, thus have not had the opportunity to play with these.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I have made a couple of models using blinking LEDs to make other expensive blue LEDs blink then just hidden the cheaper flashing red led inside the model. the ones I use have a 3Hz flash rate.
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Yup, Kenny's got the trick. The simplest way to blink ONE LED is to use a self flashing LED. ALL, JAMECO, and DIGI-KEY all sell'em.

And if you put one self flashing LED in SERIES with one or two other LEDs, they'll all flash together.

Lessee... 9 volts available, 3.6 for the BLUE LED, leaving 5.4 available for the self flasher. Looks good to me.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

En'til Zog wrote:Yup, Kenny's got the trick. The simplest way to blink ONE LED is to use a self flashing LED. ALL, JAMECO, and DIGI-KEY all sell'em.

And if you put one self flashing LED in SERIES with one or two other LEDs, they'll all flash together.

Lessee... 9 volts available, 3.6 for the BLUE LED, leaving 5.4 available for the self flasher. Looks good to me.
So sounds like you could place a flashing green or red LED in series with a white LED and the white LED would flash at the same rate as the flasher ? What about a flasher in series with a GOW bulb ? THis sounds like a great way to get the port and starboard white running lights on the bottom of TOS Enterprise to flash without needing a special chip. I currently have green and red flashers on the underside of my 18" AMT E but I know they should be white but haven't found a white flasher LED anywhere.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

En'til Zog wrote:Yup, Kenny's got the trick. The simplest way to blink ONE LED is to use a self flashing LED. ALL, JAMECO, and DIGI-KEY all sell'em.

So sounds like you could place a flashing green or red LED in series with a white LED and the white LED would flash at the same rate as the flasher ? What about a flasher in series with a GOW bulb ? THis sounds like a great way to get the port and starboard white running lights on the bottom of TOS Enterprise to flash without needing a special chip. I currently have green and red flashers on the underside of my 18" AMT E but I know they should be white but haven't found a white flasher LED anywhere.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

TREKKRIFFIC wrote:

Ooops ! Sorry. I duplicated this post ! :shock:
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

There are circuits in 'The Electronic Circuits help' sicky thread from Zog. There for your reference if you can't get the inline flashers to work.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>