Spray bomb techniques?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Stu Pidasso

Spray bomb techniques?

Post by Stu Pidasso »

What's better for spraying with spray paint cans? many many light coats, or one medium coat, sand lightly, then a topcoat? I alread warm up my cans ni hot water to make the can spray better.

Any help?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Many light coats, definately. You don't have to wait for each coat to cure before laying down the next. In fact, if the coats aren't cured, they will bond to each other better. Plus, you won't risk obscuring fine detail this way.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Making the cans warm! :?:
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

Warming the can does wonders for Model Master enamels. And definately use multiple light coats. I usually spray about 8" or more away and keep the can moving - I've found that the paint puddels even easier after the can has been warmed, but the coverage is much easier on fine detail.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Keep a jug of warm water nearby and dunk the can in when you take a break between use. Just dry the can afterwards!

I use a similar trick with power cans for air brushes as it gives a better and more balanced pressure (phyics 101 - when you release the gas, the pressure and the temperature of the can drops so warming it not only improves the paints viscosity it boosts the spray pressure).

Even more than with airbrushes its importnat to start spraying before you swing the can toards the model and to keep it moving at a steady speed. Cans tend to put out more volume of paint per application than an airbrush so its easy to flood the model if you are not careful.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read