Problem with FINAL flat coat

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Stilgar

Problem with FINAL flat coat

Post by Stilgar »

Arrgh!!! After months of work, I put my final coat of flat clear on my model, and now the clear portions of the decals (which you could barely see before) now look very cloudy and stick out like a sore thumb!

What happened?? What can I do to fix it??

And of course this was the last step of the model....sheesh...

Stilgar
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Im afraid its even worse than I thought. Not only are the clear parts on the decals now totally cloudy, but the model now seems like it has a cloudy haze all over it. I have totally lost the color and look that I spent such a long time on.
What gives? I assumed the CLEAR flat would be clear!! I was better off with the dam gloss finish I had from the future....

any ideas??...help????

Stilgar
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

What flat did you use? I know that Tamiya Flat Base is meant to be mixed with something, not sprayed directly....

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I used Model Master Flat Clear Acryl
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Alright, that knocks out one theory...

Here's a couple more questions:

Did you shake it up? I've also had problems with it improperly mixed. Talcum powder is the agent that makes it dull, so too much in one spot, and it's cloudy.

What do you have underneath? Is it an acrylic also, or an enamel? I've also heard problems not letting the lower coat dry enough, especially if it's enamel...

Dan
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The only problems I've found with MM Acryl is that it's more of a satin finish rather than dullcoat. Polyscale's is better.

I have found an issue with applying the Polyscale dullcoat at too low a pressure. It would collect, and bubble in the right angles. When I brought the pressure back up good and high, and put a very light mist application on, the product worked very well.

Never apply a dullcoat until it looks wet. Apply so you can barely see a change in sheen, then apply more when if and when you need to.

I think that might be a problem- too thick a coat?

But as mentioned, knowing what it was applied over would help.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I think its a 'too thick' coat problem...

Ok here was the sequence....

Primer
Model master Metalizer
Metalizer sealer
...then the decals....
Future
2nd coat future
1st coat Flat clear (on this coat I had probs with the airbrush and didnt get as complete a coat as I desired...I still had some glossy spots)
2nd coat flat clear (airbrush worked fine....probably TOO good...its very possible that since the first coat was way too light that I over compensated on 2nd)

And now I have the problem.

And yes I have shaken and stirred the flat clear first.

Guys...Im REALLY depressed. My first model in 20 years. 2+months of hard work, hundreds of dollars (the model has full lighting also) and I ruin it on the very last coat!!??!
Please lord someone out there save me with a way to fix this.....

sigh....
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Alright, there might be a way to save things, however the decals may be toast (what was the model? You might be able to get another decal sheet, or find someone here that can sell you some). Since your undercoats were lacquer, you can use a few things to wipe the flat coat off without destroying the paint. I've had good luck with Windex, Model Master Acryl thinner, and rubbing alcohol. There's another thread on here about removing paint--you might want to check that out.

Good luck, and don't despair--look at it at the worst as a really good learning experience...

Dan
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well, there's always my solution to decals problems.

Let it sit for a day or two.

Clears up all manor of things.

Barring that....the windex trick might be needed.
Abolish Alliteration
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

The model is the 1/350 PL NX-01 Enterprise. I had done the complete aztecing and installed lights and the works. It looked really nice....

So, if i destroy the decals trying to fix this, where would I find another decal sheet for it (without buying the whole model)??

Stilgar
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Well, for that particular model, I think you're best bet is to ask in the 'Trading Post' forum for a decal sheet--RC2 doesn't sell individual parts.

There might be someone willing to sell a decal sheet to you. Or scan one in and send it do you--and then you can print it out on decal paper yourself.

Dan
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There are also aftermarket decals avilable for it.
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Aren't most of the AM decals just stuff for the Mirror Universe versions? I think they complement, rather than replace the kit decals....but I could be wrong.

Dan
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There's a complete set available, trying to find it, heard about it over on the HobbyTalk forums.
Abolish Alliteration