Air Compressors

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Air Compressors

Post by TER-OR »

Welcome to the Jack Wendt Memorial Air Compressor Thread.
Feel free to break wind in a controlled manner - remember the moisture trap!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have a Senco model 1010 and I've added a ball-valve so I can remove the airbrush without emptying the tank. It's a nice quiet unit with a 1gallon reservior. I'm quite happy with it.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

I sprung for a Silentaire Scorpion as I live in an apartment (I can hear my neighbor's TV right now).

If I had it to do over, I'd find another set-up. Although it is MUCH quieter than a standard compressor, it is by no means "silent as a whisper" as advertised. And I have, at times, wished that I have greater psi available (now that I have an airbrush, I'd like to experiment with T-shirts. It doesn't have the psi to push T-shirt paint). And it gets pretty hot - like hot enough to burn your skin. I wouldn't recommend this for a single action airbrush either - the pressure starts quite strong (spurts) and then levels.

Again, if I had it to do over, I'd get a WalMart compressor (keep it in the storage shed) and a portable airtank.

Anyone else have one of these?
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

What should be the max. pressure a compressor can produce? Is 2.5 bar enough?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I don't think you need to worry about the max it can produce, because you should use a pressure regulator anyway to knock it down to what you need for the particular application.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

I have the Central Pneumatic 2-gallon compressor from Harbor Freight. I got it on sale for $50. So far it works great, I know I've heard the quality of these CP compressors isn't all that great, but for my purpose it works fine. I added a moisture trap from Home Depot for $11. I like it because, unlike those Badger or Paasche tank-less, airbrush-specific compressors, I can use this one around the house for airing up car tires, blowing stuff around, or running small air tools. The only thing I don't like about it is that I'll be painting, all relaxed and such, and then VVVRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! The compressor kicks in because the air pressure has dropped too much. It's less annoying than a vacuum cleaner, but still makes me jump.
"Dogs and cats, living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!"
seeker

Post by seeker »

nicholjm wrote:The only thing I don't like about it is that I'll be painting, all relaxed and such, and then VVVRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! The compressor kicks in because the air pressure has dropped too much. It's less annoying than a vacuum cleaner, but still makes me jump.
Get a longish air hose and a 1 gallon air tank, plus fittings (quickchange connector for the hose and tank input, that sort of thing). Put the compressor outside, use the air hose to connect it to the small tank, connect your water trap and regulator and airbrush to the small tank's output. Noise problem solved. Or, at least, foisted off on the neighbors. :wink:
Reeek reeeeek.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I have a Silentaire Scorpion 1 and could not be happier with it. Used it with double and single action brushes. Quiet? You can talk over it easily, I could hear the TV in another room with it running, and it never woke up Dougal-the-Pooh while he was sleeping the same room, actually on the floor directly under the counter the compressor was on. Never had it spatter, build up excess pressure, peter out or nothing. I'd recommend this to anyone, I've had it for 4 years. For airbrushing I wouldn't use anything else.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

Do you use a pressure regulator? I've been thinking of finding one. Paache has an in-line that I've been looking at. I think that may help.
rodsmith42

Post by rodsmith42 »

General airbrushing question, does a compressor need a regulator? I was looking at www.dixieart.com and the Iwata Smart Jet compressor. For an extra $50 you can order one with a regulator. Does this mean the one without the regulator will not work as well? Thanks for any info.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Einstein
artic316

will this work??

Post by artic316 »

:? Will a fishtank air compressor work good for airbrushing? Would I need a gauge to set the pressure I need? I currently use canned propellent.Any help from all you guys would be apreciated.
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
Dr. Yo

Re: will this work??

Post by Dr. Yo »

artic316 wrote::? Will a fishtank air compressor work good for airbrushing? Would I need a gauge to set the pressure I need? I currently use canned propellent.Any help from all you guys would be apreciated.
Probably not, Artic- thhats pretty low output compared to a regular
compressor-if you're shopping on-line, you might check Squadron for
a start...I wish I could be more help, but my last compressor was a
gift-but from looking at the posts above, Harbor Freight looks like a
good, inexpensive way to get started...
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

I have 2 compresors:
Airtex APC-007
Generic oil-less piston Compressor

Most of my aibrushing accesories like quick-connectors, in-line filters, hoses, etc are also Airtex, Airbrushes are by WAVE(Iwata)

Compressor is a must, moisture traps are good to have depending on your local climate and weather.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

And yes, if you can afford it, a regulator will help matters...

Dan
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

Anyone ever try Airbrush City's stuff - particularly their compressors?
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
Morty Seinfeld

Re: will this work??

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

artic316 wrote::? Will a fishtank air compressor work good for airbrushing? Would I need a gauge to set the pressure I need? I currently use canned propellent.Any help from all you guys would be apreciated.
Still looking for an aircompressor? Try Canadian Tire (I noticed you're in Canada). On one of my frequent trips there I picked up a Job Mate 3 gallon compressor for about $60.00 CAN. Works fine.
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
bmagee

Post by bmagee »

Target had a 2hp compressor on sale last week. It was 75 bucks with a brad nailer and a few accesories. I picked one up. It also had a regulator built on with the auto/pressure switch for when the tank gets full. The regulator that came with it should do...
kallen-bortas

Post by kallen-bortas »

Home Despot has probably the same compressor/brad nailer for $70. I'm had my eye on it since it arrived in the store(I part time there).

Its got a 1 gal. tank, not sure how long the air would last before it would kick in.

Dumb question, but on a tank compressor, when it kicks in, will that cause a "hic-up" in the air leading to possible splatter?
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Just thought I'd post this link to the DIY silent compressor I found on Club Hyper: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/compressorgi_1.htm
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

can anyone tell me if there is a difference between an oil less and oiled compressor?
is one quieter then the other? im worried about buying a high end used oil
compressor (to save money) because the oil needs to be drained or it can
get ruined during shipping or just by being tipped over, and someone might
not now how to drain correctly.

and a compressor with a reserve tank has to be better then just a normal
compressor with no tank right?

also what about a dual cylinder compressor over a single cylinder, which
is better and why??

a quiet compressor is very important so if you can name some good ones?

thanks everyone
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

So, if I get one of thise dial-up regulators, what should the PSI be set at for fine detail and for overall covering?

When I just tried using the airbrush for the first time a few minutes ago, the air didn't last long at 100 PSI so I'm thinking that if I had a regulator, the air would last longer.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

yeah, 100 psi is way to much pressure

you want to run around 25-35 psi for general
and a little lower for finer detail
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

yeah, doing the solar panel for the TIE, the part damn near flew out of my hand.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Norhterner, an oil-free compressor will generally be noisier than an oil-filled compressor. It's also usually cheaper, and maintenance-free. It'll also wear out a bit faster.

Dan
BLZ BOB

Post by BLZ BOB »

Well I have had my compressor nearly two years now, its very similar to this one in fact the one pictured is the slightly newer model with a drifferent housing. Far more power than I need for just airbrushing but it comes in handy when I need to attach that one litre paint blaster and spray creosote over the shed :D

It cost me around 70GBP new and that ended up coming closer to 100 once I added in some recoil air hose, air duster and moisture trap, oh not forgetting couplers and PTFE tape either. In operations its flawless typically out of a three hour painting session it will top of the tank no more than 15 times or so (depending on pressure) and each time its only active for 15 secs. The unit came with a regulator so I didnt need to fork out extra and the only downside to an otherwise ideal piece of kit is the noise.

It likes to go BRAPPPPPPP when filling, and when cocentrating on a detail thats the last thing you need so I now wear ear defenders and close the spare bedroom door. It does mean that I can't use it to airbrush in the evenings or well in fact at any time except saturdays afternoons as living in a block of flats the neighbours will complain if I fire it up.

Prior to this I had bought a hobby compressor from my brother a little box of a thing with an output nubbin and an on switch, it was a 'thrummer' in that it had no holding tank and pulsed air down the tube, it was also relatively noisy and you could only run the thing for 15-20 minutes before it started overheating and melting the carpet. On the plus side I did sell it back to my bro when I got my new one for the same price as I bought it effectively renting it free, thanks Nick :D

If you can stomach the noise or can site the compressor itself further away and run an airhose to your desk then they are good cheap units that have the capability to run air tools and inflate tyres. Although I would love a proper hobby type compressor with their price tags this domestic/industrial unit is a sensible compromise.
Your Tastebuds can't repel flavour of this magnitude!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've got a Badger Model 180-11 that I've had for close to 15 years.

I've looking to get something a bit quieter someday.
Abolish Alliteration
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

I am now the proud owner of an Iwata SmartJet! Review to follow, once I work up the courage to paint anything! :oops:
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

Well, now I've done it. I ordered a Badger 360 from the Garage Sale this morning (the price was good, the shipping was sorta high, but what're you gonna do?). Anyway, if my wife doesn't find out, I might just live through it! 8-[

IIRC, there was an ad several years ago in FSM selling what looked like the evil twin of my kids' nebulizer for use as an airbrush compressor. Has anybody ever tried recycling a nebulizer for such a thing?

I figure I'd need a regulator and moisture trap, of course. The tubing will be an issue--the nebulizer uses nalgene tubing, so somehow I'd need an adapter.

Thanks!
Jeff
kitty

Post by kitty »

I have a HANSA 20A, made by Harder and Steenbeck in Germany.
It's the same model as the Sil-Air 20A and the Eurotech 20A.
The only difference between these compressors is the color of the rectangular casing.
Black for Hansa, Blue for Eurotech and Grey for Sil-Air.
It is an oil-filled piston compressor with a 1.5 litre Pressure tank, pressure regulator with lock and gauge, moisture trap and ball valve.
It has a max pressure of 8 Bar, automaticaly shuts off at the set pressure and is extremely quiet.
Makes less noise than my refrigerator, at 3 feet i cannot hear it.
dimensions: 18 x 40 x 22 cm, weight approx 18 KG.
Price: Around 300 Euro's

If you can affort one and live in the EU, i would recomend it
Democracy may be only a few steps removed from anarchy,
But at least it's not as loud.
You broke your little ships. See you around Ahab. :spock:
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

An oiled compressor is more suited to shop work, where it will run nearly continuously every working day, the oil helps to lubricate the moving parts and keep it cooler.

The problem with one is that you need and oil trap on the output line, otherwise you will get oil in the line which will end up in your paint.

A compressor with a tank is always better than tankless, the tank will smooth out the pressure differences, otherwise the air pressure in the line will do this: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

For larger areas and general work its not much of a problem, but when doing very fine lines, shading, freehand camo, etc., the pulses will cause the line width to change.

Dual cylinder compressors are more suited for shop use as well, they can provide more CFM at a higher PSI.

The compressors we have at work are large flywheel-driven compressors that date to the 1940's, output is at 90psi, I can open an air line several miles away from the compressor house and still get 90psi air, of course the storage tanks are the size of railroad tank cars, and the main output lines are 8", so they're not practical for home use.

Ken