How far can I push her (voltage for lighting)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

How far can I push her (voltage for lighting)

Post by joey_d1119 »

Hello,
I just wired up my Reliant Ive been working on. I have 8 smaller light bulbs rated at 12 volts, and 2 larger light bulbs rated at 6.3 volts. I have it hooked up to a 12 volt ac adapter. The light coming from the bulbs is alright, but not bright enough. I am thinking of hooking it up to a 14 or 16 volt ac adapter. With the power spread out over 10 light bulbs how much voltage can I pump into it safely
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

Depends on how they are hooked-up. I would trash the 19th century technology (bulbs) and get LED's. Also, check the voltage coming off the wall wart. If it's a cheap one, you probably have more than 12V coming off of it.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Running the bulbs on higher voltage will burn them out faster.
The 6volt bulbs may not handle it at all, and may need a voltage regulator to prevent instant burn out. Additional heat also becomes a factor.
Bladerunner wrote:Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long and you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

Ok, but if you have 10 light bulbs and your putting 12 volts onto those 10 bulbs, each bulb is only recieving 1.2 volts. The 12 volts are spread out among the 10. Which means that I could go to a higher voltage. Lets say I get a 60 volt ac adapter...which I wont, but at 60 volts, and 10 light bulbs, each bulb is only getting 5 volts a piece, well under the rated voltage for the bulb.
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

For some reason I just assumed you had them wired in parallel.

:|
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

Ummm, why would you get a 60V adaptor? And why AC? I've never seen miniature bulbs rated for AC.

If need be (since LED's appear out of the question), I suggest you wire your bulbs in parallel. Of course since you have bulbs with two different voltage ratings, it will become complicated to get each bulb it's maximum voltage.

It would be far easier to use LED's....

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason