glue advice?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

glue advice?

Post by david bailey »

my local supplier where i get my super glue from which is dollar tree changed brands and swicthed to a even cheaper superglue from what i use.and i dont like the new super glue they started stocking.its a gel super glue thats thick and soupy not like the glue ive been useing.the stuff i used before was better/this stuff doesnt last long and have the time its dryed up before i use it/i buy it in bulk so i have enough to last awhile. in my opinion the other stuff i used was better.now on to my questions/has ayone used hot glue guns with any success?is the glue strong/and is it fast setting and drying?also i know theres several glues out there ,whats the best to use that have the same result as super glue? as i will be trying out new glues from different sources.thats all thanks david bailey.
david bailey
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

What are you using the super glue for? If you're joining syrene to syrene, you should use the liquid cement for models. If you're doing resin parts, try mail-order hobby supply companies or someone here might be willing to send you some super glue (the good stuff) from their local hobby shop for a menial fee to be negotiated between you and the other chap.

It wasn't super glue, but when I had a hard time finding some paint, I posted a message here asking if someone knew where to find some and sure enough, someone was able to buy some and all I had to do was pay shipping plus the cost of the paint itself.

You'll find this board to be an extremely useful tool and resource for finding parts and supplies and friends! :)
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I wouldn't touch hot glue for models. For that matter I only use super glue when absolutely necessary. For styrene, Tenax or Ambroid. Even Testors liquid, or thinner gel glue works well. I like to tack things together with the Testors in the black weird shaped plastic bottle, then finish it off with Tenax. If super glue is the only way to go, proper hobby glue, like Flash or Zap-a-Gap are preferred, if not available LocTite brand's QuickTite, available as liquid, gel, with accelerator etc. works really well too.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
david bailey

thanks for the replyes/follow up post

Post by david bailey »

i have treid some of the glues metioned/and some i have not.i havent treid tenax or ambroid,but in the future i plan on purchaseing some and trying it.i have treid all testors brands/and have treid loctite with some good results.what i plan on doing is trying different glues so i will have a vaerity to choose from besides just plain old super glue/i usually use superglue for all my needs/plus its cheap was at dollar tree because i buy it in bulk.now im trying different glues till a find the right brand cheap but with good results.most of it is use for plastic models/and my scracth builds.nothing too complex yet.i plan on shopping around for different brands of super glue and glues.i also plan on exierpiating with hot glues because my wife bought me two different type glue guns/one small and one big.i figure it couldnt hurt trying since i have them.i know these are not ideal for model building in general plastic but for different materials i use scracth building they might work in a pinch. i generally try to keep different glues for different things that might come up. thanks.
david bailey
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

the hot glue guns are essentially wax, and probably won't stick to the styrene well. But you gotta experiment.

"hot" cements are Ambroid, Tenax etc. They disolve the plastic, then evaporate, leaving - hopefully- a single piece behind where you started with two pieces.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati