CCFL power and inverter

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Locke_333

CCFL power and inverter

Post by Locke_333 »

I'm about to make my first build with CCFL and i have a few questions about them. i bought 2 4" blue CCFL and 2 inverter from www.fiberopticproducts.com.

First question, could i hook them up together on the same inverter? would it be safe to do...?? This would save me some space ...

Second, does it really need 12V power supply? i tried with a 9v battery and a 6V ( 4xAA ) and in both case, the CCFL light up with the same intensity.... This one i messing me up, i ratter run it on the 6-9v if possible and safe, since i have a DLM board the run on 6-9v...

Thanks for your help!
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

You cannopt connect both CCFL into the same inverter unless the inverter is prepared for it. You could burn all the electronics.

I see no problem to run the inverter with 9 V instead of 12 V... the problem would be if the inverter needed 9 V and you wanted to run it with 12 V...

If you don't know how to connect the DLM light kit in a 12 V circuit, you can try to add a resistor in the positive pole, it would drop the voltage down...

hope it helps,
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

Thanks for the comment, i guess i'll be going with 9v right now to sipplified my first build... but i'll have to look into that since i've already planned 2 more and i dont want to be to much battery dependant.
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

I looked at there site those look kind of expensive, considering you need to order Transformer, Inverter, and Tube.

When most computer site such as newegg, directron and alot of others.
Have all that together for anywhere from $4-$12 in different sizes and colors also.

Is there something special about these that I am missing?
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

Not relly, execpt that they ship to canada at low cost witch many site don't or cost me twice the amount. Would you know any other that do ship to canada? Any new links would be appreciated!

As for price, if i get 2x 4" CCFL and take a 24" inverter witch can power 2 12" ( so why not 4" ! ) it cost me about 20$. i have a bunch of transformer that are waiting some use. Do you have any idea how much of those 12DC transformer you have in you house? each time you throw something out, look at the transformer, it might save some bucks some day! :wink:

beside that, they have all i could need in fiber optics, tools, .... etc.
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

And i forgot, they light up( at the same brightness ) even if you power them with only 6V witch may save heat and power in the end( That remain to bee seen ...)

i've been looking at the site you posted, don't go into the too cheap etheir or you might have big surprise in a few year those with acrylic edge tend to have less life time due to the fragility of the joints at the edge. Do you really think your computer is going to be around in 10 years? my model might 8)