Using a spray can and humidity,what a nightmare!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

M.T.C.

Using a spray can and humidity,what a nightmare!

Post by M.T.C. »

Well I tried using a can of Rust-o-lium to paint an old Bird of Prey for a friend,well I will tell you what a nightmare. I got the kit assembled for my friend and tried doing this yesterday when the humidity was high,well a word of advice,"Don't"!!!!

All the paint did was bubble and make small holes all over the entire kit. I managed to clean it up on the nacelles,but the entire top I had to strip and start again today,this morning.

Well I finally got it painted,I had to do it when the humidity was low,well 7:00 a.m. but I got it,Hurray!!!! Lets party,scratch that I going back to bed.Just want to let everyone know if you use spray,do it when there is no humidity or it will be a nightmare. :D
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

Wow, I don't use rattle-cans often, but I will be careful now.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
unsc shipworks

spray disaster

Post by unsc shipworks »

TER-OR wrote:Now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

Wow, I don't use rattle-cans often, but I will be careful now.

Likewise, I only use spray cans on rare occasions, but when I do I use the Tamiya cans. They give the finest spray finish that I've ever seen from a can. But even they are not humidity proof!!!
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

always, always, ALWAYS check www.weather.com before you spray to see if the humidity in your area is low. Rule of thumb, if the humidity is greater than 65%, DON'T SPRAY, it won't cure!

In fact, don't even spray in the summertime unless you have a climate-controlled area...