Mr. Resin Primer vs. Mr. Surfacer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jonas Calhoun

Mr. Resin Primer vs. Mr. Surfacer

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

So I picked up my first resin kits at Wonderfest. I've started cleaning up a couple of them, but have a question. I've been using the Mr. Surfacer suite (1200, 1000, and 500) on my styrene for a little while now, and notice that Gunze has a Mr. Resin Primer product. My LHS does have it, but I'm wanting to know the difference, if any...I'm completely sold on the Gunze products (I do spray them through my airbrush), and want to stick with them. But if I can use my trusty Mr. Surfacer, well, I want to stick with that of course.

Thanks,
Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I think the Mr Resin Primer has a flat finish, not like the Surfacer 1000.

The stuff's great, ain't it? Surfacer 1000 in the rattlecan is an outstanding primer.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've done a little more digging, and over on armorama, someone compares the two.

Basically, Mr. Resin is just a lot hotter than Mr. Surfacer. It's able to slightly etch urethane resins and bond a bit better, especially on older resin.

Dan
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

Be sure to clean the surface good, I've had Mr Resin Surfacer flake off styrene and resin. Once as a thick application for texture on the edge of a model and once Scoth Blue Masking tape tore the primer right off.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I ordered a bottle from the LHS (they had the spraycan, but I'd prefer the bottle). It should be here sometime in the next couple of days, I'll let everyone know what I think of it...

Dan