Drilling into clear

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ziz

Drilling into clear

Post by Ziz »

Is there any way to cut a hole in a clear part without having it shatter?

I'm working on the old MPC R2-D2 and to do it right, I need to cut out a long slot on one of the blue sections on the back of his dome and two squares on a front section right next to the big eye. We're talking square holes that are maybe 1/8" big, and a rectangular slot that's about 1/8" by 1/2".
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Digger1 »

a hot square brass rod? Just melt through, maybe?

While on the topic of clear parts and things, still need that Robby from the C57-D?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Start with a smaller drill bit, then work the hole size up. Lubricate the cut, WD-40 works well with plastic. Turn slowly, and peck the drill often.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Everything he said, but back the clear part with clay. Supporting the clear and passing all the force to the clay (or wood or whatever) will help a lot.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

The clay back up can work, but it lulls me into a false sense of security. I cover the area with masking tape,work slowly, and start with a small hole. It can be done!
Andrew
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

The cracking you have is because the drill is breaking to the other side unsupported. Back it up tightly with something solid, like cured epoxy putty, instead of clay. Apart from that, do as people tell you, work SLOOOOWly. Start the holes with the drill, keep going to bigger bits as needed, change to needle files as soon as they can get into the hole.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

babaganoosh wrote: While on the topic of clear parts and things, still need that Robby from the C57-D?
Actually that was me that needed the Robby. ;)

As for cutting into clear, I would just use your dremel on low speed. And do lots of filing to get them square.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Ohhh. Still need it?
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

babaganoosh wrote:Ohhh. Still need it?
Yes, I could still use it.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere