is it possible to remove a superglued resin piece

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

is it possible to remove a superglued resin piece

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I went to glue my resin jupiter 2 replacement seats on my clear coated enamel painted floor that was puttied before being painted and one of the seats turned at the wrong angle at the last moment and is now stuck real good in that posistion. I don't know if it is even possible to remove that seat without damaging the underlying surface, if it IS possible i would really appreciate some advise on how to do it :D THANKS !!
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Acetone, AKA nail polish remover, is supposed to dissolve super glue. I've never tried it, but it would likely mar your surface under the seat. The shear strength of CA is pretty crappy, simply twisting or bending it off may work. I can't think of any way that's guaranteed not to damage what the seat's glued to.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thats what i am thinking, i don't want it to come off with a chunk of putty stuck to it, guess i better leave well enough alone :?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

there are many superglue debonders available out there. Just apply it and let sit for a bit apply a little more than use an even light pressure to wiggle it until it pops. Patience is the key though.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i am wondering if i will be able to get it underneath the 2 flat surfaces
BERT
MODEL MAKER
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I don't know what kind of wiggle-room you have around the seat, but I'd get a sharp hobby knife and cut/score lightly around the base and try to pop off just that small amount of clear coat/paint.

It would minimize the damage to the surrounding area and you might just be able to take it off without pulling up the putty underneath.

Just my thoughts on it.

Dennis
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

hi dennis, thanks :D i am going to get a good light and try very carefully, it may come off easier than i think but if not :? that superglue sure works fast, i like a little more wiggle time so it goes on right where i planned it, but it moved at the very last second and stuck pretty good :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER