Masking tape question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ron

Masking tape question

Post by Ron »

Not sure if this has been asked before.

I generally use Tamiya masking tape for painting due to its fairly strong adhesive qualities that will not allow paint seepage, yet won't peel paint when it's removed.

However, the largest width I've ever seen it in is about 16mm.

For larger masking jobs, I've used the Tamiya tape on the styrene, then taped cut-out patterns of paper to the Tamiya tape.

So here's the question.

Has anyone ever used the green Painter's tape (the 3-inch wide rolls) that is commonly used for masking when painting inside a house?

I have a couple of 'large' paint jobs coming up, and instead of taping, cutting paper and taping again, I'm curious as to whether or not I can use the Painter's tape and not damage the model. Does it have the same properties as the Tamiya tape in that it won't lift paint, stops paint bleed, adheres fairly well?
Ron
Maritime Science Fiction Modelers
http://msfm.seryan.com/ron_e.htm
joewhite

Post by joewhite »

I've never used the green kind but I have used the blue painters tape by 3M and a generic version. As far as those, I have noticed a bit of bleeding only when spraying heavy spray can coats. Lifting might be a problem if pulled quickly or left on for a long time...a week or more.

You can also stick the tape to your shirt or pants a couple of times to reduce the stickiness. Although, I've never had problems when pulling the tape off carefully even on a well dried acrylic paint, which I usually use. Bleeding is not a problem if airbrushing, especially light coats, at least for me.

Again, I don't know if the green tape is the same as the blue, but I can say the painters tape is usually designed to not lift at all or as much as regular masking tape if used in accordance with the directions, that is to not leave the tape on for very long periods of time.

Hope this helps in some way.

Joe
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Why not use the painter's tape to mask the larger areas, then use the Tamiya tape around the edges of the painter's tape to seal it?
Robert S

Post by Robert S »

you can get Tamiya Tape in up to 40mm widths now

http://spruebrothers.zoovy.com/product/TAM87063
Mal: Define "interesing"?
Wash: Oh god, Oh god, Were all going to die?
Robert

http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I usually use the Tamiya tape at the demarkation line. If additional masking is required then I place wider tape (including the green masking tape) on top of the Tamiya tape about 1-2 mm away from the edge and press a the edge of the overlapping tape to seal. I found that the green tape (as well as other masking tapes) leave a risidue if pressed to seal an edge. With this method, the Tamiya tape forms the seal at the demarkation line and does not leave a residue when lifted.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.