Painting windows: Black, blue, white, or multi-color?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cenebar

Painting windows: Black, blue, white, or multi-color?

Post by Cenebar »

In regards to painting large capital spacewarship windows, should one paint them white or black and then color them with Photoshop, or paint them as if lit and occupied?

Photoshop's great for web photos, but when people view the model in person, having all black windows makes the ship look like a ghost spacewarship, no? And then having all white windows makes the ship look like a cruise liner. I was thinking maybe bright or dark pink or blue.

My ship's windows are the size of this bracket [].

Thanks for the advice.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I'd paint them a combination of extremely light tan or beige and white just to add some dimension to the windows to make it look like something's inside.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Try painting them ALL with Liquitex iridescent silver. When that's dry, pick out the 'window' you want unlit and drop a bit of Tamiya Clear Smoke.... even the unlit windows aren't just black holes.

Other clear colours can be used on individual windows to indicate different lighting conditions inside.

Quite pleasing.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Careful, though. Some of ships like Voyager and the Reliant have all of the windows lit.