is it ok to use a clear laquer on metallic silver ???

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

is it ok to use a clear laquer on metallic silver ???

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

well my polar lights jupiter 2 is just about done, will be done by tonight i want to protect the metallic silver paint from marks caused from touching and handling it.I read the cans of model master clear laquers that say don't use on high luster silver,copper, gold etc. but what happens to the silver finish exactly? i don't want it completely flat but i don't want it extra shiny either, so i was thinkinf of somewhere in the middle with a semi-gloss clear. Has anyone had experience with doing this on metallic silver and what were the end results ? I don't have an airbrush and i really don't want to try and brush future on because of uneven brushed areas, what will be the BEST clear coat to use semi-gloss or gloss ? thanks for the help
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I've airbrushed Testors clear gloss lacquer over buffed metalizer, and all it did was cut down some of the shine. But it was still pretty shiny. I know this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, since you won't be using an airbrush, but it might help a little.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

i was thinking maybe semi-gloss to reduce any chrome shiny look. will the clear laquer make the metallic silver run and cause all the metallic particles run and puddle ? just wonder why the can says not to use on hi luster silver, copper, and gold paints ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Bomech1

clear coat

Post by Bomech1 »

wish i had better advice but - paint some scrap silver and try it. :wink: