what kind of texture results from spraying further away

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

what kind of texture results from spraying further away

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I am painting a kit metallic silver from a testors spray can. The instructions always say spray from 8 to 10 inches away. If i were to spray further back say 15 inches or so, would i get a finish less prone to picking up finger prints and dark shiney spots that metallic silver is famous for. i will be handling this model and i know i should wear cotton gloves but sometimes i may forget. I heard someone say they sprayed from further back and it changed the way the metallic silver laid down and they said it helped prevent fingerprint stains when handling, i just want to make sure what the proper distances for different results will be. :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Spraying from further away, the paint tends to dry a little before it hits the surface. This gives a slightly pebbly surface. It's this roughness that prevents fingerprint marks. A rough or matte surface doesn't show prints as much as a glossy one.

To prevent marking it up, your best bet is to let it dry absolutely completely. With enamel paints, it takes a long time to dry completely, especially metallics.

Once it's dry, a good idea to give it a good coat of Future - this would help protect the metallic finish.

Kev
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

i would like to coat with future but without an airbrush, i would have to brush it on, maybe with one of the wide foam brushes you find in craft stores, not sure how it would look though. the pebblely finish may be the better way to go, it is the polar lights jupiter 2 and the top will be removed alot to show the interior and activate light circuits, even with soft gloves, the rubbing of them against the paint makes little dark shiney spots somtimes :shock:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION