Using a hair drying to fix resin warping-- any hints?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Nefud

Using a hair drying to fix resin warping-- any hints?

Post by Nefud »

I'm terrified of destroying the model I just started. This is the first time I have received anything from Starcrafts (TOS Romulan) that had any warping, and I want to make sure I do this right.

Here's my understanding:

Apply high heat to the piece with a hair dryer, then bend into the proper shape. When done, dip in cool water to firm it up.

Is this correct? Also, does anyone have any specific tips for making sure something is straight and flat?
BlackBirdCD

Post by BlackBirdCD »

You've got the right idea, and the hair dryer will heat it nice and slowly so you won't have too much trouble with it getting 'wilty'.

When you first get it to the heating point, it should gently bend back to the original shape on its own with very little prodding. Use a straight surface or other parts of the kit to ensure its shape.
Nothing unreal exists
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Don't be tempted to use too much force. If it won't shift, heat it a bit more.

Otherwise, you'll find that you'll suddenly have a model with more parts :( !
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Nefud

Post by Nefud »

Thanks guys, everything worked out fine. I think the lesson here is: don't order a resin kit in the summer, those mail trucks are hot!