Substitute for Clear Green/Transparent Green Paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Beowulf

Substitute for Clear Green/Transparent Green Paint

Post by Beowulf »

I need to pain the clear plastic parts of a Romulan Warbird a Transparent Green but as I can find none anywhere where I live, I could use a suggestion as to what is a good substitute.

Maybe a Bright Green really thinned out or mixed with a bit of Light Yellow. I intend to airbrush them. Any suggestion would be helpful.
I'm NOT dealing with your attitude! I have my own to deal with!
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Try adding some green food coloring from the grocery store to Future. Maybe add a little yellow or blue to get the correct shade. I've never actually tried that but it might work.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

It works, but don't try to do it in one coat. Experiment plenty.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I second the Future method. It's how I tinted the canopy on my Air National Guard Valkyrie. I wanted to give the impression of a polarized, all-round HUD technology:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v161/Z0mB ... 0Valkyrie/

I used very light coats, shot through an airbrush. It will take a lot of them. I mean 20 or more to get this kind of depth. Then, I shot a few heavier coats of clear Future over the color coats to smooth things out. Future is self-leveling.

I hope this helps.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott »

They don't sell Tamiya Clear Green in NH? Why don't you try ordering online?
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I just haven't found it yet. The only shop near me doesn't sell Tamiya paints. A friend mentioned another that I didn't know about. I'll check it there.

And excuse my ignorance but what is "Future?"
I'm NOT dealing with your attitude! I have my own to deal with!
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Got some transparent overhead projector sheets?

Maybe too...esoteric. Some thin transparent green plastic, then.
Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott »

Future is an acrylic floor wax. That can be used as a gloss coat on models. I never really tried the stuff until recently. It really is great stuff. The key to using it is. Light coats and lower pressure when using an airbrush.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy