liquid Masking Material

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

liquid Masking Material

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

What brand of this stuff will work for Acyrilic paints. I've tried both Microscale, and Parma, and they both rip up the surrounding paint.
Thomas E. Johnson
karim

Post by karim »

The best I've used is Liquid Latex. The only thing it will harm is Future, since it is amonia based.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Hold on tight, everyone, as we sliiiiiide to the finishing forum.

Painting is finishing.

I've got a jar of this masking agent from Bob Dively. It works very well with acrylic paints, which are pretty much all I use.

http://webserver.hobbylinc.com/airbrush/masktape.htm

I bought it at the local hobby shop, but have seen it at art shops too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

TER-OR wrote: I've got a jar of this masking agent from Bob Dively. It works very well with acrylic paints, which are pretty much all I use.

http://webserver.hobbylinc.com/airbrush/masktape.htm

I bought it at the local hobby shop, but have seen it at art shops too.
Which one? There are several liquid masks on that page.

I've used Blue Tac, but it can stick to acrylics and leave a residue that's a minor annoyance to remove (especially if you use denatured alcohol as a thinner, like I do sometimes).

Most of the time I use Tamiya tape. I burnish down the edges, then spray Future over the tape to seal the edges, wait for it to dry, then spray the paint layer.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/div/div3000.htm

that's the stuff, use two coats to make it easier to cut.

Terry Miesle
qc

Post by qc »

again?
i use a latex (def ammonia based, by the smell of it) mold builder (as a mask) over future all the time and have no problems.
this came up earlier:
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... highlight=

just make sure you give anything you paint or mask time to cure up. if you put ammonia on while it has completely cured...you're bound to have problems.

Ter'....how thin is this stuff you're recommending? I'd like to find a replacement/companion for the stuff I use only because its pretty thick stuff and have to cut it with ammonia to thin it out. ....What consistancy would you rank your masking solution? And does it have any strikes against it? (dries up after a few months, stinky, etc)
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

It smells a bit like bad milk. That may well be casein in the mix. It's pretty thick, but I prefer a thick coat. It cuts much better than the other types I've tried, with less effort too. It's way better than the Microscale stuff which I don't like. It's similar to the light blue stuff whose name I can never remember, but a bit thicker.

I like it, so far it's given me very good results.

Terry Miesle