DSEV Chesley Bonestell

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Astrazoic

DSEV Chesley Bonestell

Post by Astrazoic »

Here is a scratch build project completed several months ago.

As background, I envisioned a large vehicle, about 500 meters in length. I imagine the engine to be an intertial confinement fusion drive system, similar to the one conceptualized decades ago for Project Daedalus. The propulsion system consists of various tanks (who knows what’s in them), followed by a shield, presumably to protect vital parts from accidental radiation and disruption that might occur for the instruments in the middle of the ship. The middle is composed of microgravity modules, perhaps storage and labs and so forth, with a small lab on an arm that rotates about the axis for gravity-related studies. Finally, we get to the habitation ring and the characteristic dome shield, itself containing machinery necessary to produce a magnetic shield emanating from the forward-most piece. All told, the thing would be a kilometer long and the habitation ring wud have a diameter of 400 meters. I assume the mass of the vehicle would be somewhere around a million metric tons.

I didn’t really plan this out in advance; I designed and built as I went and this inevitably produced challenges, especially because electrical wiring is involved. The tiles on the dome were not planned, for instance - but I wanted some texture and this seemed the best option, though a tedious one.

I’m an artist, not an engineer. Still, my aim was to produce a scale model of a large vehicle that could cover vast distances relatively quickly (years) within Saturn’s orbit around the Sun (a navigational sphere about 1 billion km in radius). For humans to live in an artificial world for that long, a good deal of comforts will be required, hence the scale of the vehicle. I named it after Chesley Bonestell, an artist of some renown among architects, astronomers, and industrial designers with an eye for the future.

Lighting: Evan Designs: https://evandesigns.com
Plastic hemisphere (commissioned): Bruce Kennedy at Bell Platsics
Kits scavenged: Meng "The Navigational Platform" (from Chinese The Wandering Earth film), parts from some sort of gundam kit I picked up years ago, parts from a kit of the rover from the film "Moon," 1/350 Tamiya Enterprise CVN-65, 1/72 Dragon Saturn 5 parts
Scratch parts: Evergreen plastic, ping pong balls, mouthwash bottle cap, aspirin bottle, other bits

Last edited by Astrazoic on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
southwestforests

Re: DSEV Chesley Bonestell

Post by southwestforests »

Built in the great tradition of special effects models!
:D
Really, it does look fit for a movie.
Nice.
Quite nice.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Very nice! And big!
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

That's fantastic! I love it! Your website is worth checking out (anyone who didn't notice the URL down at the bottom of the OP, it's astrazoic.com).

You see nicely built Enterprises and X-wing and such all the time here, so you expect those, but there's no expecting stuff like the Bonestell, and that makes it extra cool.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Awesome build!. Very realistic and probable in it's design versus what we see in the movies.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
mike robel

Post by mike robel »

Very Well Done!
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

That is just awesome! :shock: I has the feel of a massive ship, and I love the effects, including the tiles. Well worth all the work.
Dictators do not make things 'great.'

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
Astrazoic

Post by Astrazoic »

Thank you for the compliments. It was a fun build but must admit that a lack of planning ahead certainly made this challenging. I have a habit of doing that, frankly. I suppose that can be fun, but only when an unforeseen challenge is actually overcome. While the lesson learned is to plan ahead, I can tell this will not stick with me :P
Wug

Post by Wug »

Great looking model.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

This is a really awesome design as well as a piece of work. It's also a real beauty :)
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Astrazoic

Post by Astrazoic »

Wug & Zubie - thank you!
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

As much scratchbuilding as I've done, you'd think I'd look in here more often. Glad I did! The build is splendid.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Perfect!
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Absolutely spectacular!
Well balanced design, works at multiple distances- looks good far away and when you get closer it works at another level. I think my favorite detail is the structural ribs behind the forward dome, has a Syd Mead pragmatic vibe...
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Astrazoic

Post by Astrazoic »

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen!