Diffusion via sheet styrene

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

turner3d

Diffusion via sheet styrene

Post by turner3d »

I have seen several videos (Boyd of Trekworks, Will of Ensign's Chair, others) where they have used sheet styrene in front of LEDs for diffusion. After doing some searching, I found a few recommendations for 0.5mm white styrene, which comes out to about .019". I ordered some .020" white styrene from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0968WK38R/) and it is completely opaque. I mean, this stuff wouldn't even need light blocking. Does anyone have any recommendations on something I can actually use?
southwestforests

Re: Diffusion via sheet styrene

Post by southwestforests »

Looking at the white sheet styrene on hand I think the .005 inch thick, which is paper thin, would work okay.
Gluing it in place will be a bit of an adventure since liquid cements will melt it before they glue it.

EDIT: yeah, that works, with then without,

"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
blakeh1

Post by blakeh1 »

southwestforests wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:57 pm Looking at the white sheet styrene on hand I think the .005 inch thick, which is paper thin, would work okay.
Gluing it in place will be a bit of an adventure since liquid cements will melt it before they glue it.

EDIT: yeah, that works, with then without,

I have used that same technique as well

I forget the exact sheet thickness, but as mentioned, it was paper thin

Your other option is order clear styrene and ""fog" it up by sanding with a fine grit sandpaper
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
- Frank Zappa
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I've used 0.005" white styrene for diffusers a number of times. I've also tried sanded clear styrene, but the glow isn't as uniform as with white.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Try spray painting lightly clear plastic. Then it will be like a gel.

I also spray painted LEDs to get a more uniform lighting.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Kleinalrik

Post by Kleinalrik »

There is special paper for technical drawings for use in plotters.
They are thin as paper but are of plastik and diffuse fairly well without blocking that much Light from the source.

If you use several layers with some spacing inbetween (1/16 to 1/8) the diffusing becomes more even.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Kleinalrik wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:23 pm There is special paper for technical drawings for use in plotters.
They are thin as paper but are of plastik and diffuse fairly well without blocking that much Light from the source.

If you use several layers with some spacing inbetween (1/16 to 1/8) the diffusing becomes more even.
:thumbsup: Usually called Drafting Film it is a polyester-based film with a translucent one- or two-side matte drawing surface. It’s treated to reduce static and accept paint, ink and pencil. Agreed- several layers will diffuse better. PVA (white) glue will stick it well.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Translucent white milk jug plastic works great for diffusion.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Translucent white milk jug plastic works great for diffusion.

Here I am using two strips in conjunction with some packing material sheets for the warp nacelle grill lighting on my Enterprise E build:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Nacelle Diffusers by Steve J, on Flickr

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Foam Packing Sheet by Steve J, on Flickr

Final effect:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Diffusers with Foam Packing Sheet Test 2 by Steve J, on Flickr
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
star-art

Post by star-art »

Don't forget that white styrene turns yellow with age. . .
www.StarshipBuilder.com Follow me on Facebook
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

star-art wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:02 am Don't forget that white styrene turns yellow with age. . .
I don't think that's always the case. I have unpainted white styrene over 30 years old that shows no sign of yellowing. I think it's a matter of UV exposure, and that not all styrene is created equal.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
star-art

Post by star-art »

Perhaps, but most of my 30+-year-old plastic model kits that have been sitting in a dark box all these years without being exposed to sunlight at all have still turned yellow. The plastic also gets brittle with age. I'm sure exposure to UV very likely accelerates that process. But, styrene parts are also vulnerable to things like cigarette smoke. . .

"Milk plex" aka translucent acrylic is really the ideal diffusing material. Of course, it's not flexible and not available in very thin cross sections so that's not always a practical choice. But if you're sealing something up inside a model for the foreseeable future, acrylic is a material that's proven to stand the test of time.
www.StarshipBuilder.com Follow me on Facebook
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The farther away you can get the light source from the diffusing material the better it will work. That being said check out the various plastics manufacturers for free samples like this https://plaskolite.com/catalog/optix-ld ... ng-acrylic
Abolish Alliteration