Another 555 timer question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Another 555 timer question

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

These chips are so useful to anyone who isn't good at programming (like me) that I feel like it needs an entire article on the main site, or at least a pinned comment...

But in any case, I was experimenting with a 555 timer for my USS Grissom kit, and while a 470uF capacitor wouldn't allow the circuit to flash when combined with a 220Ohm and 2.2K resistor, a 10uF cap and a 10K and 100K resistor blinked just fine. The first selection of components satisfied the equations t1=0.369(R1+R2)*C and t2=0639*R2*C, so why did the LED only flash one time and then stay dark?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
brt

Re: Another 555 timer question

Post by brt »

I found this answer online as I was curious. 470 to 10 microfards is a big difference.

Bert Hickman
, studied Electrical Engineering at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1970)
Answered 2 years ago · Author has 2.4K answers and 2.3M answer views
Originally Answered: What would happen if I replace a capacitor with one of higher capacitance?
It really depends on where and how the capacitor is being used in the circuit.

If the capacitor is part of a timing or oscillatory circuit, it may extend the timing interval or lower the operating frequency of the circuit. If the capacitor is part of a frequency filter, it may significantly reduce the frequency response of the filter. If it is part of a DC power supply filter, it may reduce the output ripple voltage. If the capacitor is part of an energy storage or pulsed power application (such as a flash lamp circuit or capacitor energy discharge circuit) it will increase the amount of energy stored in the circuit by a factor of the new capacitance divided by the previous capacitance. If the capacitor provides a power supply bypassing function (such as power-to-ground bypass for an IC) or if the capacitor serves as a DC link capacitor, there may be no apparent change in the actual operation of the circuit.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman