Using Vallejo Glaze to hand paint over overspray and underbleed

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ulvdemon

Using Vallejo Glaze to hand paint over overspray and underbleed

Post by ulvdemon »

I figured I would ask the question here. I have some sections of my Defiant model where there was some slight over spray and bleed under from the airbrushing. I would like to use the fix those areas by hand painting with Vallejo colors mixed with Vallejo glaze. I've tried it on section before and it was still somewhat thick when just using thinner and not the glaze. Would anyone recommend going this route or something different?
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Using Vallejo Glaze to hand paint over overspray and underbleed

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If you absolutely have to brush it on, I would get some Liquitex Slow-Dri and some Flow-Aid, if the brand thinner is not doing the trick.

However, your best bet would be to mask and airbrush. I assume we’re talking about some pretty light work here, so try something really gentle, like Post-It Notes, since you’re masking over completely finished areas and it’s a small error. Keep the coats as light as possible, and avoid spraying “into” the mask.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
ulvdemon

Re: Using Vallejo Glaze to hand paint over overspray and underbleed

Post by ulvdemon »

I actually completed the sections that I needed to work on. Oddly enough, I was able to get it thinned with water perfectly fine this time. Last time it didn't work.. so go figure. Only one section had to be remasked and airbrushed. So I will call this a lesson learned for the next go around. The glaze really did make it too transparent for what I needed in some sections, but worked well in others.
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato