Paint storage racks

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bigbluejavelin

Paint storage racks

Post by bigbluejavelin »

So I was looking on Amazon for some paint storage racks for bottles of modeling paints and did not find any that would hold my bottles of Testors Createfx enamel stains that I recently bought a bunch of on Evilbay because the have been apparently discontinued. There was nothing there that would hold the bottles of that diameter so I was cruising youtube and watched a video from someone that was showing off his paint storage area that was way more than impressive. Most of the paint racks I found on Amazon were made of MDF not plywood. A company called Typhoon has the most awesome racks that are actually made of thin plywood and designed for the Tamiya bottles. If you want great paint racks, check out Typhoon painting products, Robert has some really awesome paint racks.
Too much LDS
seam-filler

Re: Paint storage racks

Post by seam-filler »

And here's the link bigbluejavelin missed out to Typhoon's website...
https://www.typhoonpainting.com/typhoon-paint-racks-1

In a similar vein (and probably more cost-effective if you are in Europe) is HobbyZone in Poland...
https://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kekker

Re: Paint storage racks

Post by Kekker »

I have way too many paints of various brands and types to even think about a rack system! I've been collecting paints for years, and have been replacing some with newer types like the acrylic enamels.

My solution was to split up my enamels and acrylics, and then group them by color group. Red/orange/yellows, browns, blues, greens, black/white/grays, metallics. Then each color group get put into a flat square plastic disposable container, and these get stacked into drawers in a rolling plastic storage drawer... thing. I try to take out only the colors I need for a given project, and return them to the proper container after. Usually. The acrylics get their own set of storage containers in other drawers.

A separate drawer keeps the clears and the thinners. Spray cans (mostly Tamiya, but a few old Testors and full size fillers), get another drawer.

Somehow, even with trying to keep as many tools and other bits in specific places, I seem to end up working in the same six inch square as the tools, plastic bits, parts and etcetera hang around. Just in case I need them again soon. The end of a project then becomes a Grand Cleaning where everything goes back where it lives and I have a spacious work area again. Until the next kit.