Weathering with oils

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

gg_duce

Weathering with oils

Post by gg_duce »

I'm going to be weathering with oil washes for the first time and have a couple of questions, please.
Everyone says it takes a long time for the oil paint to dry. How long is long? Days?
And is it okay to use a clear lacquer over the oil washes?
Any advice is appreciated!
By Grabthar's Hammer.......what a savings.
seam-filler

Re: Weathering with oils

Post by seam-filler »

You need to let an oil wash cure for a day at least.

This is one of the better articles on the subject... http://www.leagueofpainters.com/?p=929

As to using a lacquer varnish - I see no reason not to, as long as the layers beneath the wash can take lacquer.

Frankly, though, I use artists' acrylics for washes. Easier to clean and faster to dry yet there just as many colors available.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
geck

Re: Weathering with oils

Post by geck »

Another trick is to squeeze out some of the oil paint on to a piece of cardboard (like the kind shipping boxes are made out of). This will seep the oils out of the paint and does 2 things: 1. It reduces glossiness of the oil paints and 2. Aids in reducing drying time. Use that reduced oil paint to make your wash out of.

You can also use a product called Japan Dryer and mix some of that in that will help the oil paints dry faster. I've not used it, but there are tutorials out there on it.

Really...all you need to do is just use the cardboard method. Once applied on the model, let them dry for at least 1-2 days. After that...you should be good to apply a clear coat. If you are using a lacquer based clear coat...make sure you mist it on if you are unsure about attacking the paint beneath.