Another dumb question concerning enamel paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

Another dumb question concerning enamel paints

Post by jpolacchi »

I was curious to know,if using enamels and thinning them out using "lacquer thinner", does that make them act/behave more like a lacquer paint?I know that they dry pretty quick using lacquer thinner. I'm only asking(and I feel kinda dumb asking) is that I have a few vinyl kits.Not many, but I have allot of enamels paints between Model Master,NOS Floquil, Flo Paque(which is basically the same thing) and Areomaster enamels. If I remember correctly, it is suggested that you do not paint vinyl kits with enamels.Something weird happens...the paint will never fully dry or cure and you get this sticky mess and a ruined kit out of it. As I recall, you are only supposed to paint vinyl kits with either acrylics or lacquers, but there aren't many lacquers to choose from and I'd like to avoid buying even more paint. However,if I use lacquer thinner to basically mix up a hotter enamel (say 50/50 mix or close to it), won't that be the same as using a lacquer paint,or does that not really matter and I'll still end up with the same sticky mess and a really expensive,destroyed vinyl kit that can't be fixed or replaced?
Rogviler

Re: Another dumb question concerning enamel paints

Post by Rogviler »

No, sadly enamel is enamel. Your observation is correct that you can alter the drying time by using lacquer thinner or acetone instead of mineral spirits, but that's about all you can accomplish.

Having made the enamel on vinyl mistake, I don't touch enamels with a ten foot pole when it comes to vinyl and nylon.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I have used enamel paints on vinyl - but only tiny spots of metallic on top of well-primed vinyl (e.g. uniform buttons). That was back in the day when acrylic metallics weren't very good.

On vinyl, I use an automotive primer designed for car plastic trims. I've heard that you can use enamels over this without damaging the vinyl, but I've never had the courage to try.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

seam-filler wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 am On vinyl, I use an automotive primer designed for car plastic trims. I've heard that you can use enamels over this without damaging the vinyl, but I've never had the courage to try.
I did not have good luck with that myself. It seems that the chemicals that interact with each other will eventually migrate through other paints and primers. It'll be fine for awhile, but I had it suddenly get sticky months later.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

seam-filler wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 am On vinyl, I use an automotive primer designed for car plastic trims. I've heard that you can use enamels over this without damaging the vinyl, but I've never had the courage to try.
Yes, this works. But I still would not dare to use this method for large areas - you never know how things develop over time, when the vinyl loses softener or does other funny things the enamel paint is prone to react to. Stay safe, use acrylics. :)s
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Okay, thanks for the input. Golden airbrush acrylics, Liquitex, and FW acrylic inks it is.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I might also look at "some" of the taxidermy paints. They have lacquers as well as acrylics, but I think their color range and pallet are "locked in" and there's not allot of variety.