Tamiya tape ruining acrylic gloss coats?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

Tamiya tape ruining acrylic gloss coats?

Post by darth_daniel »

Hello, I have to ask the experts for help. I’m building two ERTL Naboo N-1s and airbrushed the yellow base coat on (mix of Tamiya acrylics over slightly polished Tamiya Fine Surface Primer). My plan was to apply a good shiny clear coat of my trusted Vallejo (acrylic) gloss varnish from the spray can, then mask any yellow areas and spray the black base coat for the chrome surfaces.

Luckily I did a test on a scrap piece of plastic - grey primer (thoroughly cured enamel primer), same Tamiya yellow as before, Vallejo gloss varnish. I masked a section with standard Tamiya masking tape for testing. When I pulled it off 2-3 days later, all the shine from the gloss coat was gone.

I rubbed the paint with turpentine to make sure it’s not just finely distributed adhesive residue, but that was not the case.

So I wonder, is this normal? Does Tamiya masking tape ruin gloss coats? So far, Vallejo varnishes were my trusted, tough, resistant do-it-all clear coats which never caused problems (except for their new matt varnish, but that´s a different story).
My ideas are:

- I think I sprayed the varnish shortly after the yellow paint and let it cure 2 days before applying the tape, which I left on for a day or two. Will a drying time of a week or month between the steps make a difference?

- Is there a different tape that won’t ruin gloss coats but can still produce clearly defined edges? Will Vallejo tape work better on a Vallejo varnish?

- Should I switch to another gloss coat, maybe even lacquers/enamels (Tamiya LP-09, for example)? Do Tamiya gloss coats and Tamiya tape get along with each other?

Of course I’ll do more testing before continuing work on the actual models, but I’d be very grateful for any hints and shared experiences! :)
dizzyfugu

Re: Tamiya tape ruining acrylic gloss coats?

Post by dizzyfugu »

Tamiya's tape is pretty sticky, but it HAS to for a clean edge and on bulged ground. However, in your case you might have simply pulled a certain acrylic layer off, or the clear coat was not thoroughly dry, so that the masking tape's sticky surface (which is not flat) imprinted itself into the varnish and left it with a "grainy" surface?
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
darth_daniel

Re: Tamiya tape ruining acrylic gloss coats?

Post by darth_daniel »

dizzyfugu wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:50 am Tamiya's tape is pretty sticky, but it HAS to for a clean edge and on bulged ground. However, in your case you might have simply pulled a certain acrylic layer off, or the clear coat was not thoroughly dry, so that the masking tape's sticky surface (which is not flat) imprinted itself into the varnish and left it with a "grainy" surface?
Good point - I certainly pressed the tape on thoroughly, maybe it really was too early. I´ll start another test tomorrow but will let each layer dry for a week. Not that I wouldn´t have enough other unfinished projects to work on in the meantime! :oops: