Decaling for Dummies

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Decaling for Dummies

Post by Tchail »

Hello Everyone,

Over the years I've become afraid of the decaling process. I've read lots of horror stories on this site, and I've somehow managed to stay away from this all important step.

But I've been working on the Bandai Star Wars Tie Advanced and Tie Fighter models, and before I can seal up the cockpit there are decals to apply.

My understanding of the process is as follows:

* Apply a clear gloss coat to the surface you intend to decal;
* Loosen the decal from the backing sheet using warm water with a dab of Elmer's glue mixed into it;
* Apply Micro-Set to the model surface;
* Move the decal into place;
* Apply Micro-Sol to set the decal into place;
* Apply a clear coat to seal the decals and help blend the decal onto the surface.

I've purchased Model Master Acryl - Gloss Clear, and Pledge: Revive It - Floor Gloss.

Which one should I use? My limitation is that I do not have an airbrush.

Do Micro-Set and Micro-Sol go bad with time?

If you have to apply a gloss coat to a model before applying decals, is there any point in using flat colors vs. gloss colors?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Tc
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Saturn

Re: Decaling for Dummies

Post by Saturn »

Tchail wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:09 pm I've purchased Model Master Acryl - Gloss Clear, and Pledge: Revive It - Floor Gloss.
Which one should I use? My limitation is that I do not have an airbrush.
I've only used Future (Pledge Revive) as a gloss coat for all my builds. It can be handbrushed, but slowly build layers- don't slop it on.
Tchail wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:09 pm Do Micro-Set and Micro-Sol go bad with time?
I have a 90's era bottle of Walthers Solvaset that's still potent.

Tchail wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:09 pm If you have to apply a gloss coat to a model before applying decals, is there any point in using flat colors vs. gloss colors?
There used to be a line called Xtracrylix that was predominantly in gloss to address that very issue. No need to gloss coat prior to decals is the paint is already glossy. Never tried hand-brushing it though.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Thanks!

:D
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Wug

Post by Wug »

Not all decal solvents or setting solutions are compatible with all decals. Test first.

Here's a Paul Budzik decal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rdwH1EGus