Using induction coil for powering model lights

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

seam-filler

Using induction coil for powering model lights

Post by seam-filler »

A project I'm planning needs fairly simple lighting (no flashing, flickering, fading or sequencing). The usual options are -
- Power supply outside the model with model permanently wired through the base
- Power supply outside the model with some sort of plug & socket
- Power supply inside the model
But I kinda like the idea that you can use an induction coil to power the lights (the sort of thing being used to wirelessly charge mobile phones).

Does anyone have any direct experience or advice?

Thanks,
Rob
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Re: Using induction coil for powering model lights

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Thanks. That is very interesting and well worth a read, but I was looking at getting a ready-to-go kit. The one I've seen produces the 6V I think I need for my lighting.

It's more the actual application in a model I was after.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Well, X-Base is close to what you're looking for. But the prices alone will definitely make you reconsider.

There are some things to consider. I have not seen this up close nor experimented with it, so the following are my theories:

1. The size of the model is limited to the size of the 'Base' which is 11.8" x 11.8"
2. The LEDs, although they are SMD, are bulky at 0.18" x 0.18"
3. The LEDs do not flash, blink unless you modify them and they still wont sync together
4. The model has to be within the range of the base ror the induction to work

Another alternative would be to look into the wireless charging as pointed out Kylwell. Once such link from Google: PCB wireless charging module XKT-412A from AliExpress
This concept is to use the system to power up the whole circuit inside the model but:

1. Limited working/charging distance betwen the coils from 1 few mm to less than 5cm
2. Limited current available/rtansferred so you might need to redesign your circuit and it uses 5 volts.
3. Coil size can be from 1 inch to 2 inches on average
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks