alclad rubbing off

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nurturer

alclad rubbing off

Post by nurturer »

I'm looking to use Alclad Polished Aluminum or Alclad Chrome for Plastic on a project.

How tough is an alclad finish?

I've read somewhere that the finish can be rubbed off over time and seems best used of exteriors that will be covered or protected and not physically handled.

Thanks in advance . . .
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Re: alclad rubbing off

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Unfortunately, Alclad Chrome rubs off rather easily, regardless of time. They sell Alclad Aqua Gloss to be used as a clear coat to seal the paint, and it is good for not dulling silver finishes in general.

The best I've found is the Molotow chrome pen. Buy the chrome paint refill and not the pen. You can dump it directly into the paint brush. Just give it 3-5 days to dry b ecause it takes a very long time to set. It is superior to Alclad Chrome for a number of reasons:
1. The chrome shine really stays as a mirror finish
2. You do not need to first create a perfect gloss black undercoat as it can be applied onto anything.
3. It can be brushed on too.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

This is my first time hearing about Alclad paints rubbing off easily.
That surprising to me as they are lacquer based paints and lacquer paints tend to have “Bite” into styrene.

The only time I’ve had any paint rub off easily is on a resin model and I think that was my fault by not scrubbing the resin good enough with a strong cleaner.

I have that Molotov pen only and thought that rubbed off too easy after dry but I don’t think it was dry for 3 days when it came off.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Properly applied you can tape over Alclad Chrome w/o an issue. The trick is that "properly applied". I've managed it a few times but it is by no means an XYZ process.
Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Kylwell wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:49 pmThe trick is that "properly applied".
Agreed - it's all in the application & preparation of the black undercoat. Two particularly good (IMO) videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShXwlemJQUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZqwW9yFLU
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I'm going to give Molotow a try once I get to a position where I can afford it. I like Alclad Chrome, but it's really difficult to get a mirror finish with it, and some parts really need a mirror finish.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Star Base 8

Post by Star Base 8 »

I have just used 6 tones of Alclad metals including the Chrome for plastic and had no rubbing off. As some of the guys have mentioned the base and gloss coats are important. I polished between the primer and Gloss black base and it paid off.

I applied ALC 600 between the top overall coat of Duraluminium. The masking was easily lifted and re applied without any of the finish coming with it. I applied the 600 over each stage to allow subsequent masking and color application.

Thin even coats at 10 to 12 psi on the metals with 20 to 25 for the ALC 600. Do clean the airbrush immediately after the aqua gloss. Its sticky stuff if left in the brush!! :( :(