atomize metal powders

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

atomize metal powders

Post by jpolacchi »

Has anyone attempted to work with "atomized metal powders" in painting/finishing a kit(of any kind) in a medium (airbrushed or brush painted) to achieve a more realistic metal/metallic look on the model?
Kylwell

Re: atomize metal powders

Post by Kylwell »

Like C1 Models metalizer or Gold Leaf & Metallic Company's powered aluminum? Spraying from an airbrush, not so much. Doesn't work as well Alclad.
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

No,"atomized metal powder" (steel/iron,bronze,brass,copper) mixed into a medium,like acrylic or an enamel or laquer clear coat.But after talking to a couple others,sounds like the only way to apply it is with a paint brush in a very heavy medium like an acrylic gel,then dust the surface with the powder again and try burnishing it after it has cured.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Typically you end up with a semi-reflective surface. I've tried various metal powders, haven't tried Douglass & Sturges, in a combination of mediums but because the metal isn't in flakes that can settle they never get better than kind of shiny. Now the C1 and Armored Komodo powders do rub in quite nicely they don't work for spraying while in a medium.

As soon as I get the chance I'll give D&S a try.
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Okay,thank you for the information.I';m looking into other ways to apply also.I might consider using a resin.Might be wasteful,but might be a better alternative.