Using acrylics to protect Bandai plastic from enamels/oils?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Using acrylics to protect Bandai plastic from enamels/oils?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Is it feasible to protect a Bandai kit's plastic from enamel thinners, lacquers and other known harsh chemicals by first coating the model in acrylic primer or clear varnish? I'd like to think that it would, but those who have worked with paints more than I have probably would be able to tell better.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
EVApodman

Re: Using acrylics to protect Bandai plastic from enamels/oils?

Post by EVApodman »

I don't think I have ever painted enamel or lacquer over acrylic. I have painted acrylic over these paints. Since acrylics are water based they don't interact with enamels.

Whether acrylic would protect plastics by forming a protective coat over it is another thing. The basic problem is the solvent used in non-acrylic paints. It softens the plastic slightly and can't be touched until completely dry as many a modeler has discovered when touching still wet paint.

Try experimenting on piece of sprue and see if coating it with acrylic protects it from enamels and lacquers.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or just don't soak it in enamel thinner. Only some plastics are affected by paint thinner. It's only because Bandai doesn't limit themselves to just styrene that this is an issue.
Abolish Alliteration
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

EVApodman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am I don't think I have ever painted enamel or lacquer over acrylic. I have painted acrylic over these paints. Since acrylics are water based they don't interact with enamels.
Not all "acrylics" are water-based; there are acrylic enamels and lacquers. Tamiya "acrylics," for example, are alcohol-based. Technically they are enamels.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

SpaceRanger1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:30 pm
EVApodman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am I don't think I have ever painted enamel or lacquer over acrylic. I have painted acrylic over these paints. Since acrylics are water based they don't interact with enamels.
Not all "acrylics" are water-based; there are acrylic enamels and lacquers. Tamiya "acrylics," for example, are alcohol-based. Technically they are enamels.
If you want to get technical the term "enamel" only applies to paints that air cure to a hard glossy finish. It's like "plastic". Broadly defined. But yes, there are water based acrylics and other based acrylics. Tamiya swings a number of directions. Then there are water soluble oil paints. It's a mess.
Abolish Alliteration