Future Floor Wax

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nurturer

Future Floor Wax

Post by nurturer »

Is airbrushing Future Floor Wax still a good choice for adding a gloss finish or for making scratches on transparent pieces disappear?

I had read a while back that the formula had changed and now it tends to yellow over time.
southwestforests

Re: Future Floor Wax

Post by southwestforests »

Yellowing over time is not a new phenomena, I have a 5 to 8 year old only partly used bottle which got forgotten about in the back of the pantry and it has visibly yellowed.

EDIT: it seems to be older than 5, closer to 8, judging by copyright date on label.

"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I'm pretty sure that yellowing (especially in the bottle) must be largely controlled by storage conditions, presumably air, moisture, light and temperature. I stocked up when Klear (as it is called in the UK) was about to be deleted from the range over 10 years ago. So I have ended up with four bottles all stored in a dark, cool place and none have yellowed - including the open bottle. So it would seem that temperature might be the main yellowing factor.

Personally, I've never noticed any significant yellowing on transparencies. I don't use it as a general varnish so I couldn't say about yellowing over paint.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Thanks guys