Help! Peelin' Primer

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Help! Peelin' Primer

Post by El Gato »

Do you know what's going on when primer is flaking off a resin part? It's just so weird that the primer just scrapes off. I washed it before I started working on it, but even my self-etching primer is failing me. Specifically, the part is the saucer piece for a 2500 FedMod Centaur. I've never had a problem with the resin FM uses. I've had the model for a couple of years now, so I don't think I can approach FM to ask for a new one. Anyone know a cure for this?

"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
gsb5w

Re: Help! Peelin' Primer

Post by gsb5w »

My guess would be that it wasn't clean enough. Remove all the primer and scrub it again with something like Comet and a nylon brush.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

If a good clean doesn't work like gsb5w suggests, then it could be that the resin mix wasn't quite right in the first place (i.e. not enough hardener). If this is the case, then the part will never stop leaching which means that normal paint will never stick properly.

If this is the case I suggest you use a de-greaser (I'm in the UK, so brand names won't mean squat) but soaking it in a simple solution of Borax will go a long way (Use rubber gloves!!). After soaking overnight, rinse well with distilled, de-ionised or at least filtered water and leave to air-dry. As soon as it is dry use a primer that is suitable for polycarbonates (e.g. Tamyia's TS range). These paints are more flexible and hot enough to etch the surface. They are also resistant to oleo resinous leaching and staining.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Did you soak your parts in in a tub of dish detergent and scrub them with like...an old tooth brush or something?Injected kits have very strong mold releases on them.You really gotta clean them up.
trekman

Post by trekman »

I’m not an expert,however I would try some adhesion promoter after cleaning. It’s used on surfaces that are flexible like vynle. It’s available at auto parts stores.