Layering Washes

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

japenny

Layering Washes

Post by japenny »

Hello,

I normally paint figurines with acrylic paint so I have experience with water based paint.

But I'm working on my first scale model (a BAN DAI gunplay), and an interested in trying some enamel washes/filters etc to weather it.

My concern is if I'm going to want to layer multiple washes over one another to deepen the effect, if I give it say 6 hours to a day to cure can you layer these kinds of paints over one another and not destroy the previous application. I'll probably be thinning with OMS, I know when I wipe acrylic paint with OMS to clean off skin oils if I've handled it, nothing happens to the acrylic paint under it.

Cheers
EVApodman

Re: Layering Washes

Post by EVApodman »

I'm not sure how enamel washes would work on top of enamel paints since you are using thinner that will affect the paint.

One thing is to be sure the existing paint is dry. I would wait 24 hours minimum for this.

Then I would apply the wash LIGHTLY over the surface, making sure it doesn't pool, run or otherwise disturb the surface. Then wait 24 hours and if necessary apply another wash.

I have heard of people applying an acrylic coat of Future over enamels to protect them from washes. When I do the panel lines on an aircraft I coat it with Future until it has a glossy finish. I then thin black paint or Umber with a thinner until it flows without any resistance. The capillary action of the panel line then draws the paint the length of the line. Once done I coat the plane again with Future and then Dullcote to seal it all in.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
japenny

Post by japenny »

Thanks for the reply. I did leave out one detail in the OP, that the base would be acrylic and the washes would be on top of that. My concern was just the layers of washes themselves being disturbed.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

In my experience, thinned enamels can still be disturbed after they dry with thinner. You can always "save your progress" with a layer of acrylic clear such as Future between whatever layers of washes you want to do. That's how I would do it. Just don't use lacquer or you'll have a worse mess.

-Rog