DIORAMAS you would like to build

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

TAC

DIORAMAS you would like to build

Post by TAC »

Hoping this thread will inspire others to create dioramas.

Post a description or an image that portrays the diorama, or an idea for a diorama, you would like to build.

Please do NOT post images of built dioramas. The idea is to present ideas.
If an already built diorama is your idea for a diorama, then please provide a hyperlink instead.

To start with, here is an image of a diorama I would like to build:

TAC = Take A Chance.
TAC

Re: DIORAMAS you would like to build

Post by TAC »

TAC = Take A Chance.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

There's a few things I picked up that I thought kind of begged diorama. I got a second hand Monogram X-15 which is mostly in one piece, but the decals are pretty much shot. I thought I could still build it in the landed high speed test version since the real one had most of it's markings burnt off!. Then I thought, how about as a diorama exactly as it landed, nose up, throwing off sand. When I get around to it, I'll ask around here for references on the tail skids as the Monogram kit came with ground handling rear dolly and no skids at all.

The other I got recently was Annakin's pod racer. Now the stand is quite nice, but I can't help but think it would also be cool actually posed over a desert floor. I was also taken by the effect of a trench run diorama in one of the Wonderfest photos that has the actual background motion blurred. Again, just a thought.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
TAC

Post by TAC »

Great ideas. Hope to see you creating them.
TAC = Take A Chance.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Using an HO scale gas station I would scratch build a submarine conning tower poking up through the ice next to it and call it "Gas Station Zebra".
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

Maybe a cross-company battle between super-heroes and villains using 1/48 scale Heroclix, say between Batman and Spiderman on one side and the Joker and Green Goblin on the other.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I'm hoping to build a small 1/144 scale Diorama using Bandia's 1/144 scale At-At.I'm not sure where to get "good plans" for the Endor Moon landing platform? I can get screen shots from the film,but I need some good plans to build the pylons and platform itself.
TAC

Post by TAC »

jpolacchi wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 pm I'm hoping to build a small 1/144 scale Diorama using Bandia's 1/144 scale At-At.I'm not sure where to get "good plans" for the Endor Moon landing platform? I can get screen shots from the film,but I need some good plans to build the pylons and platform itself.
If you can read plans, then you ought to be able to draw them too.
There are many images on the Internet of the Endor Moon landing platform. Cross referencing a known size, (e.g., 1/144 scale Walker) with it placed next to the platform ought to give you a good estimation of sizes. It does not have to be precise, as long as it looks good. After all, a diorama is about the drama of the scene.
TAC = Take A Chance.
dalem

Post by dalem »

Star Wars: 1/48 scale generic Rebel hangar. I have my X-wing and Y-wing 95% complete, My mostly scratchbuilt Johnston speeder complete, some pilots being converted, some resin droids, and a scratchbuilt "droid mover" cargo speeder in progress. Problem is I haven't touched it in about 5 years.

WWII: 1/72 Tiger KO'd with a 1/72 Archer rumbling by. I'm tired of all the gorram Tiger tanks in this hobby. Time to show one blasted.

-dale
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I was just thinking about this. I would like to do the Revell XSL-01 landed on the moon. Hatch open, rope ladder dangling, solar boiler open. I just need to copy the off-center booster nose cones in my copious free time.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Bouncing around my brain since sometime late 1980s to mid 1990s,
Take one of those Testors manta ray looking UFO kits, they offered both intact and crashed versions, and ...
cut open what seems to be the cabin door,
pose one of the seated little grey crew figures as collapsed while exiting the door,
make a base looking somewhat Mars soil color and texture,
pose some space armored human troops advancing past it,
mount a freelance sci-fi fighter buzzing the crash site,
label it, "Greywar: Mars"
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I want to build a corner of a Rebel hangar showing a Y- Wing being stripped down for service, half the Clone Wars hull coverings in a pile on the ground, the remaining ones still in place
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I've got an idea, but I'll just say it's also a Rebel Hangar. I haven't seen it done and don't want to put it out there before I get to it. Which might be in the next 20 years or so... :D
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Well, a good friend of mine GAVE me his unfinished stash of models! So stoked! He decided he hadn't done any modelling in years, and didn't want them to go to waste. What does that have to do with this thread, you ask? Well, the diorama I've wanted to do for years I didn't have the kits for, and didn't think I would ever have, but now I do! In the stash was a FM 1/72 Millennium Falcon. I want to build a diorama of the falcon and Luke's X-wing in a field somewhere, with the cast having a picnic, possibly throwing around a frizbee. In the background is a TARDIS and Han is talking to a certain Doctor... :D
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Ramsayman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:16 pm Well, a good friend of mine GAVE me his unfinished stash of models! So stoked! He decided he hadn't done any modelling in years, and didn't want them to go to waste. What does that have to do with this thread, you ask? Well, the diorama I've wanted to do for years I didn't have the kits for, and didn't think I would ever have, but now I do! In the stash was a FM 1/72 Millennium Falcon. I want to build a diorama of the falcon and Luke's X-wing in a field somewhere, with the cast having a picnic, possibly throwing around a frizbee. In the background is a TARDIS and Han is talking to a certain Doctor... :D
Han is probably getting tips on how to fit even more rooms inside the Falcon without having them stick outside the hull...

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
Moonlight SY-3

Post by Moonlight SY-3 »

I wonder whatever happened to TAC (the OP)...he had a lot of interesting ideas and posted quite a bit for a few months in 2018, then disappeared from September of that year. Hope he's OK.
~Brian
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Richard Baker wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:54 pm
Ramsayman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:16 pm Well, a good friend of mine GAVE me his unfinished stash of models! So stoked! He decided he hadn't done any modelling in years, and didn't want them to go to waste. What does that have to do with this thread, you ask? Well, the diorama I've wanted to do for years I didn't have the kits for, and didn't think I would ever have, but now I do! In the stash was a FM 1/72 Millennium Falcon. I want to build a diorama of the falcon and Luke's X-wing in a field somewhere, with the cast having a picnic, possibly throwing around a frizbee. In the background is a TARDIS and Han is talking to a certain Doctor... :D
Han is probably getting tips on how to fit even more rooms inside the Falcon without having them stick outside the hull...
I figure that's how he got it bigger on the inside in the first place!

Or maybe Han IS a Time Lord! The Doctor and The Smuggler or maybe The Scoundrel?
elend

Post by elend »

Kotobukiya released one of my favourite space ships a couple of years ago. It's a Player 1 Ship from the videogame "Raystorm". I would love to build this drydock you can see in the image above. There are not many reference pics for this, but this might be a blessing in disguise, because I can basically do whatever I want, hah! Just gotta figure out the exact set-up. Would love to open some flaps on the ship, the cockpit, add some hoses, etc. The Model is rougly 1/144 scale, which means especially the open cockpit will be really, really tricky to do. Generally detail on the ship will be difficult due to the size of it (about 23 cm in length, iirc).

Back then I bought 2 kits of these ships to have one for "practise", before I do a diorama of that scale. Several years later I bought 2 more because... yeah, it's my favourite ship. If you have some kits for sale, please do tell me. :p
mike robel

Post by mike robel »

I have started gathering kits to do a diorama based on the Twilight Zone Episodes "Phantom's of the Seventh" in which an armored cavalry crew of the MT National Guard goes back to the Little Bighorn and is killed. It will include an M5 Stuart with 5 crewman, 2 cavalry troopers, one behind a horse, and four Indians. In the original episode, the modern cavalrymen left their tank behind. I think it must have been the same issue as with the USS Nimitz at Pearl Harbor.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

I've long wanted to expand the "Spock and Snakes" scene to include Kirk and McCoy doing stuff like punching a Klingon or treating an injured crewman.
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Richard Baker wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:10 pm I want to build a corner of a Rebel hangar showing a Y- Wing being stripped down for service, half the Clone Wars hull coverings in a pile on the ground, the remaining ones still in place
I did this for one of the contests a few years ago. Didn't have the time to make as many panels, or go into the details as much as I intended, but there you go. It's on here somewhere...
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Ramsayman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 am
Richard Baker wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:10 pm I want to build a corner of a Rebel hangar showing a Y- Wing being stripped down for service, half the Clone Wars hull coverings in a pile on the ground, the remaining ones still in place
I did this for one of the contests a few years ago. Didn't have the time to make as many panels, or go into the details as much as I intended, but there you go. It's on here somewhere...
Love to see it!

Deviant Art Gallery-
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

southwestforests wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:23 am Bouncing around my brain since sometime late 1980s to mid 1990s,
Take one of those Testors manta ray looking UFO kits, they offered both intact and crashed versions, and ...
pose one of the seated little grey crew figures as collapsed while exiting the door,
How about the crashed Martian war machine from War of the Worlds shown at the end of the movie or a captured one being stripped down at Area 51?

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

EVApodman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:38 am
southwestforests wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:23 am Bouncing around my brain since sometime late 1980s to mid 1990s,
How about the crashed Martian war machine from War of the Worlds shown at the end of the movie or a captured one being stripped down at Area 51?
The first episode of the TV series 'War of the Worlds' ended with three of the George Pal Manta war machines in a hangar where they were being studied. Brief view of the interior when the heroes placed bombs inside. Great shot of them powering up and blasting their way out of the building before the bombs went off

Deviant Art Gallery-
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Using the Apollo landing kit make a diorama of the landing being filmed on a movie set.

Using the Enterprise Bridge kit show a scene being filmed.

Using existing kits what scenes from the movies or TV could you do being filmed?

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

The Halcyon Space Jockey kit- the filming of 'Alien'
(Have one in my closet of doom which I was thinking of doing this with)

Deviant Art Gallery-
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

One diorama that's been in the back of my mind for the last ten years is making a section of Kuat Drive Yards with a Venator, Acclamator, and Imperial Star Destroyer all in various stages of refit or construction, with the Imperial class being launched from its drydock. It would have a little supply yard with a train of freighters delivering containers as well as an administrator complex. I'd probably also have several smaller yards around the big ships with smaller ones like Nebulon-Bs and such being built and serviced. I've got the Venator and Acclamator already half-done, I just need to get some other choice projects off the table before i get back to that one. :)
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

I have an old safety cage from a large floor model fan. I also have accumulated a ton of the 1/2500 "Geocraper" buildings. I'd like to build a city on the inside of fan's cage as to depict the interior habitat of a large star base. Start with a small city core of tall office buildings, maybe around a central pillar, ringed my medium sized office buildings, then parks, a "lazy river" followed by the housing district. Then the outer ring is farming and forest until it hits the inner wall. Then maybe do it all again on the "upper" half of the cage.

Then on to the outside of the star base. Put a few dry docks around the peripheral, a lower core and ring section and maybe top it all off with the traditional "cityscape" for the top of the structure.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
More coming soon!
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

Always wanted to do two, definitely.
One from Space Battleship Yamato 2199. It's the destroyer Yukikaze, last scene from the first ep, after it had crashed onto the moon Enceladus.

And another from Macross
It's just after Ichijo has rescued Misa from the ruined Grand Canon complex. His VF-1 is in gerwalk mode, landed on the 'moonscape' the ground has been turned into, and the ruined canopy has been blown off. I have some small figures, bought years ago, to put them both in the cockpit.

Also, back in the VCR-era, I had the though to gutting one and using the case as a shipyard.
Dictators do not make things 'great.'

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

EVApodman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:34 pm Using the Apollo landing kit make a diorama of the landing being filmed on a movie set.

Using the Enterprise Bridge kit show a scene being filmed.

Using existing kits what scenes from the movies or TV could you do being filmed?
Why stop there? Build the whole Desilu sound stage.

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/20 ... esilu.html