SCALE COAT I and SCALE COAT II

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

SCALE COAT I and SCALE COAT II

Post by jpolacchi »

Does anyone know about these new "railroad" enamels?Apparently they are an IMPROVED replacements over Floquil. I'd like to hear about it if anyone knows or if I should 'steer clear' of them and look at Model Master or something else?
seam-filler

Re: SCALE COAT I and SCALE COAT II

Post by seam-filler »

Scalecoat 1 is designed for application direct to metal or wood with no primer (if so desired). Scalecoat 2 is designed for use on plastics. They are usually gloss and the range is pretty much restricted to North American railroad and weathering colors. All colors are available in both ranges.

The model railroaders I know of just swapped to whichever brand had the color(s) they needed - most of them ended up switching to Vallejo, which being acrylic, is easier & safer to use than solvent-based enamels.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson