Basic lighting kit for star trek 1/1000 kits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

LCDR-W

Basic lighting kit for star trek 1/1000 kits

Post by LCDR-W »

Does anyone make a basic kit that just have navigation lights(red & green) and strobe light on the nacellel's
Sloucher

Post by Sloucher »

If you're prepared to do a little soldering, or know someone that can, your most basic option would be to have a go at making one yourself using the ubiquitous 555 or 556 (dual 555) timer chip.
Google "Star Trek Nav Lights ne555" or simply go to http://virtualight.com/?p=1199, there's a good article there.

Bernie
WiredFX

Small Lighting and Effects UK
veedubb67

Post by veedubb67 »

starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

These are some good informational sites.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Very lovely links! I tinkered around with a 555 strobe light last fall and wrote down some notes. The lesser the resistor, the faster the flash. And on the other end, the greater the resistor, the longer between the flashes. I bought some 20ohm resisters to try to make it a very quick flash, but I haven't gotten out my breadboard to test this yet.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
modelbldr_207582

Re: Basic lighting kit for star trek 1/1000 kits

Post by modelbldr_207582 »

The sites listed are some of which I was going to suggest. I'm new to lighting and my first build with be just what you are posting about 1/1000 scale USS Enterprise. Once finished with the Enterprise I will be adding a Klingon Battle Cruiser