Practicing panel line preshading

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Aerethan

Practicing panel line preshading

Post by Aerethan »

So here I am starting to paint my 1/72 Y-Wing, and I'm trying to preshade all the panel lines on the cockpit so that they have good contrast once the main color goes on. But I can't for the life of me find a sweet spot of air pressure and paint viscosity to save my life. I either get quick dots that spider or I get practically a wash that just runs everywhere.

Any tips on how to practice this or any cheap items with panel lines I can use to perfect the technique?
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

Everything you need to know about airbrushing is on YouTube. I spent lots of time watching tutorials myself. You may even want to search your area for a local ipms or amps plastic model club because those guys will also share knowledge.
That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword.
hossfly72

Post by hossfly72 »

Have ya ever seen Doog's Blackbasing technique?
https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/tech ... ck-basing/
hossfly72

Post by hossfly72 »

Have ya ever seen Doog's Blackbasing technique?
https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/tech ... ck-basing/
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Practice, practice, practice.

I usually cover in all black or a dark grey or brown, depending on the effect I'm after.

With Tamiya I think about 50-50 with Tamiya thinner and spray about 12 psi. Starting @ the center of a panel fill lightly to about 1/8 or so from the panel. Don't worry if if looks a mess. Do all the panels in the area that way. Then come back and pull a little farther away and repeat. Keep going until it looks the way you want. If you really hate it, hit it with some paint remover and go @ it again.
Abolish Alliteration
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Very good information. Practice is key, as Kylwell mentioned. If you try something and screw up, you haven't made a mistake, you've just leaned a way not to do it. A lot of these techniques we use now have come from modellers experimenting and sharing their experiences. Everyone has made goof-ups with paint jobs, including the pros, and the only way to get better is to practice...not necessarily on an an actual model, but you can try out a new technique on a piece of scrap plastic (paper may not be suitable because of its hygroscopicity).

TazMan2000