Mauve?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Mauve?

Post by TD1701 »

I'm currently building a Vulcan Shuttle from an older Ertl kit, and I was looking to see if Testors or Tamiya offered Mauve paint. After searching quite a while, the closest color I could see was a German Mauve. Would anyone know where I could find this color or, what the proper mix would be to create it?

Thanks,

Tom
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Testors German Mauve - TS5053:

http://www.squadron.com/Testors-German- ... ts5035.htm

Shows out of stock at the moment, but I know it's a current color.

Looks like Vallejo also makes it under the number FS37144.

-Rog
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

That looks a little dark. I wonder if it would look lighter on the model? The model used in the film almost looks pink.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

I suggest you mix your own colours. Just keep a log on how many drops of each color you use. The Vulcan shuttle uses slightly different shading on several panels that are only are only a shade apart. Others have looked like greys, browns, blacks and even yellows we added to divide the colour pallet up and give it a patchwork appearance.

Good luck.

TazMan2000
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks TazMan. :D If I may ask, what would be a good mixture for the base coat?
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks TazMan. :D If I may ask, what would be a good mixture for the base coat?
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Sorry for the double post.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

OMG. I have no idea. However, I have recently started using Vallejo paints. They come in several color ranges. The Game Color range that they have seem to have more pastel colours, but the Model Air range has paint prethinned for airbrush use and seems to be concentrated on military colors. But I believe all ranges can be intermixed and thin with water, but it is recommended to use their thinner medium.
The Vulcan Shuttle, like most sci-fi craft have colors that look one way on screen and a different way in photographs. Collect as many photos as you can and decide how best you want to express your creativity. Try a few paintings on some scrap plastic and see what you think. Who knows, you may want to go in a totally opposite direction from screen accurate and delve into the world of whimsy. But the best advice I can give you is to make it so that it pleases you. Don't be concerned about what others think and just do what feels right. If you want, paint it up shiny white, fresh from the Starfleet yards or try out a Bird of Prey color scheme.

TazMan2000
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Wow! Thank you so much Tazman! I will look at the Vallejo colors, and see what they have to offer. I'm still a ways away from painting. I have the shuttle done and primed but, still have some work to do on the warp sled. Thank you too Rog! I appreicate everyone's help on this!

Tom