Decals as a drilling guide?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

Decals as a drilling guide?

Post by nanook177 »

I'm building several 1/1000 Star Trek starships (a Miranda and an Excelsior Refit-class). I'm going to have to drill it all the windows for the fiber optics I plan to install. My question is if I apply the decals, can they be used as a template to guide my Dremel tool? If so, any suggestions to make it work the best? If not, any suggestions on how to do this at all? Thank you!
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

First off yes you can use them.

Second to make your holes as accurate as possible, use a pin or something very sharp to make a dimple right in the center of the window. This will give the bit a place to rest when you start to drill.

Third, you might not want to use a dremel. They spin fast, and can melt the plastic, which can be a mess. They also can be off centered just enough to make the hole in the wrong place, or wobble around enough to make the hole wonky. Use a pin vise for better control. It may take more time, but the result will be better and there will be less cursing involved!

Kev
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

What I suggest is to make a copy of the decal sheet (scan or photocopy) and cut out the window portions and use them as your templates. Save the decal sheet for future use.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Also just so you know the right hand side windows for the secondary hull are inaccurate.
Normal?? What is normal??
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

On the Excelsior-refit/Enterprise-B? How bad? I mean mildly inaccurate or "they had no idea what they were doing" inaccurate?
I am not too concerned about this model, as it's just a test or prototype to work out the bugs for building (either scratch building or who knows) a 1/350 Excelsior-class Refit. Yes, I know it will be huge (about 57"x22"x10"), but it's going to be a memorial (eventually) for my dad when he passes, so I'm going for the gold. However, I will be basing a lot of that build on the smaller 1/2500 and 1/1000 scale models, so I'll eventually have to correct the inaccuracies
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

On the studio model the 2 sides have different window patterns and what R2 did was make both sides the same.
Normal?? What is normal??