How do I use Testors Model Master "Jet Exhaust"?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

How do I use Testors Model Master "Jet Exhaust"?

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

A couple of months ago, I bought Model Master Acryl 4676 "Jet Exhaust" on a whim. I've tested it out, and it looks more like a dirty brownish, grayish metallic color. I didn't notice its metallic properties until I tested it out when I got home. I've done a little bit of research on usage of this paint and I've found this page and this page. Apparently it is meant to simulate oxidized metal from superheated afterburners, right? Has anyone used this before?
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes it is. Yes I have but it's been ages.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Thanks for the response. It was airbrushed in the two links I provided above. I imagine it would also be good to drybrush it too, wouldn't you say? Or use it as a wash?
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Reichardt, KoG

Post by Reichardt, KoG »

Back when I used enamels, I dry brushed that on a silver basecoat; gave the shading effect you want (simulates metal expansion) - I'd look close at real world examples (like on motorsiccle exhausts) for ideas before I painted.

AFAIK, tho, airbrushing is the way to go with this stuff - also, I think? there are a couple of metallizer shades of this paint (for airbrushes ONLY), from....Alclad? Stang....(memory help needed, it's been awhile...)
"Melange' still races!"
X-3
Wug

Post by Wug »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

The FSM link goes to a nose art thread. The other link is about Alclad.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Reichardt, KoG wrote:Back when I used enamels, I dry brushed that on a silver basecoat; gave the shading effect you want (simulates metal expansion) - I'd look close at real world examples (like on motorsiccle exhausts) for ideas before I painted.

AFAIK, tho, airbrushing is the way to go with this stuff - also, I think? there are a couple of metallizer shades of this paint (for airbrushes ONLY), from....Alclad? Stang....(memory help needed, it's been awhile...)
Thanks! Alclad is a bit hard to come by here in Happy J-Land, although HLJ stocks it, so I could always order from them. I'll start practicing airbrushing this stuff on some spoons, on maybe a silver base coat first and then maybe Mr. Color Burnt Iron.
Wug wrote:The FSM link goes to a nose art thread. The other link is about Alclad.
Do a CTRL+F and search for "jet exhaust" to see this paint in action.
Greg
Reichardt, KoG

Post by Reichardt, KoG »

I'm reaching here; I thiiink I saw some enamel? Tamiya? Fujimi? MARKERS that were 3 shades of heated metal....I think. It was at...?!!

Ya migh try metallic chalk pastels, or mebbe Rub & Buff if they stlll make that.

HTH, sirrah!
"Melange' still races!"
X-3
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I have a bottle of that and never found a use for it. Now this thread gives me some thought on it.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Nebdcbdepo
Spammer - Locked

Post by Nebdcbdepo »

Excellent !! really nice posts! thanks