Bumpy Future

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Glorfindel

Bumpy Future

Post by Glorfindel »

Anybody have this happen to them before? I AB Future to the wings and fuselage of a WWII aircraft and when it dried it had a very bumpy texture to it. It was almost as if the Future didn't level out during the setting process that it usually does when it dries. Temperatures have been mild so I don't think that had anything to do with it. I've had this bottle of Future for several years and believe it does not have a shelf life. Also I've AB over Tamiya Acrylics and am attempting to remove the Future without marring the paint underneath. Very tricky indeed. May have to repaint some base coat to even out the look after removing the Future.
Suggestions? Input?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What pressure did you spray at? If you are shooting at much over 20 or 22 psi, and/or are too far away from the piece, the Future will begin to set up a bit before it hits the surface, hindering its self-leveling ability. Assuming this is a pressure/distance bug and you get it fixed, you can probably fix a lot of the bumpy coat with a few misting coats of Future applied roughly ten minutes apart. Failing this, you could try a polishing cloth.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

LT. Z I'm thinking your right here. I may have completely been over confident and sprayed at too high a PSI. It's really the only thing I can think of at the moment. Funny you mentioned a few more mist coats because I haven't touched the plane since and have been contemplating doing exactly that for that very same reason.
Nice to hear it from a more experienced mind then mine. :D
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Future does have a shelf life of sorts. It will thicken over time but a dash of water will fix it.
Abolish Alliteration
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Kylwell wrote:Future does have a shelf life of sorts. It will thicken over time but a dash of water will fix it.
Interesting to note, would have never guessed the water thing.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Kylwell wrote:Future does have a shelf life of sorts. It will thicken over time but a dash of water will fix it.
I'm guessing I purchased it about two years back. :-k I'm up for giving it a whirl with a little water thrown into the mix. Kylwell thanks for the suggestion...sounds....sound.
~Best in Show, 2000
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I used to thin it all the time with water and isopropyl alcohol. Now I'll add some Flow-aid and water. And reduce the air pressure.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati