How do you cut sheet styrene?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jdeleonardis

How do you cut sheet styrene?

Post by jdeleonardis »

I just bought an AMT star destroyer off of evil bay and its missing parts (plus, Id like to try to add some of my own detail).

What tool do you use to cut sheet styrene? What do you use to create detail in it? Ive looked at some of the stickies at the top of the forum...does an x-acto work? Something else like a Dremel?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Depends on what sort of cutting you mean.

Simplest approach is to use an sharp modelling knife and a metal ruler. Score the sheet styrene but don't try to cut all the way through. Then snap the section from the main sheet. Makes for a cleaner cut line.

For more complex shapes you can use patterns to cut round or use an Olfa Compass Cutter etc.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

The above score and pop method works great for sheets. If you get some of the thin evergreen strips I set a few on top of each other and push the blade through the stack. By getting different thicknesses of these you can glue them on the star destroyer and make some good detail. Use thicker pieces for separations and thin pieces for ledges. Gluing pieces the same size above each other is good, placing a vertical strip every so often between them like an elevator does a lot. Thin of an internal structure and the the pieces you are attaching as falling in line with the internals we cannot see. When you get enough on it will suddenly look 'right'. The biggest problem with that model is the surface detail was flat lines- anything you do to increase the depth of the textures and deepen the shadows will really make it shine.

"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
jdeleonardis

Post by jdeleonardis »

Thanks for all of the info. I didnt know anything about evergreen styrene until this post. After a little looking, I think Im in love!

Thanks again
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I used to cut my own strips from thin sheets- it seemed silly to pay that much for precut stripes. Now that I started using it I am a lot happier- it is worth the expense in time saving and uniformity.
Their tubes come in concentric sizes- great for moving hing parts and telescoping landing gear. They usually have a package of random mixed parts- get one to play with when you can.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

I'm not sure how much you pay for the small sheets of styrene, but check with your local Sign Shop Distributor. Ours in this area is Wensco Sign Supply

4'x8' sheets:

.020 White Styrene $6.82
.030 White Styrene $10.23
.040 White Styrene $13.64
.060 White Styrene $20.47

And im not 100% sure of the difference between this stuff and evergreen.

Glen
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Those prices are pretty good. My company buys like that and the supplier usually has the same stuff cut cown to 18"x24" (common yard sign size for silkscreening). That is a little more managable to stock at the house- I usually get about twenty sheets to keep on hand.
Evergreen is more expensive but it in thin strips, rods, tubes, C/I/H beams etc about 11" long in packs. It is best for small detailing.

Deviant Art Gallery-